Transmission Leaking Fluid

sptzvnm

Established Member
I bought a used T-45 transmission that was suppose to be low miles and in excellent mechanical condition. Needless to say, it is not. The transmission leaks at high rpms ( at about 5500 rpms). When I removed the center console and drive the car, at high rpms it appears that the fluid is coming from around the shifter (its blowing in the car so fast that it is hard to pin point). I resealed the shifter three times with RTV Silicone thinking that was where it was coming from, but that did not do the trick. Has anyone had that problem, or know where else the fluid may be coming from? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Turbo96

Turbo Spool FTW!
Established Member
is the fill plug tight? if thats not it maybe there is a hairline crack on the top of the transmission?

sptzvnm

Established Member
The filler plug 'is' tight. I will try to examine the top of the transmission as best as I can with it still being in the car. Thanks for the input.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Is it coming out the vent tube at all? I would have thought that would be the path of least resistance...

Last edited:

sptzvnm

Established Member
Not sure if it is coming from the vent tube. I had a thought of plugging it up 'just to see', but was told that I would blow some seals. In addition to it leaking fluids at high rpms, when the car sits for a couple of days, when you start it and try to put it in gear, it won't go into any gear. I guess the fluid has gotten on the clutch. I have to shut the car off, put it in 3rd gear, and bump the starter until I hear the clutch release.

Users who are viewing this thread