transmission just went out. help

ninety8 GT

Mustang Fanatic
Established Member
Well on my way home from the gym i had a desire to gun it a little bit. So i WOT to about 5k shift to 2nd w/o powershifting or anything when all of a sudden the engine just revvs instead of moving and the gear was just real easy to move into w/o engaging the clutch. So i shift to third instead since i just lost 2nd. Get into my neighborhood, stop the car, and try all gears again while sitting still. well now when i let out the clutch it stalls. I dont even have to put my stick into a gear. I can move the car when in neutral. weird. So I'm guessing the whole transmission is gone now? How much will this cost? Boy what a sorry day.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
In my estimation.
$650-850 for a used junkyard tranny.
$1000-1250 for a rebuilt or new.
$2000 for a T56.

You putting it in will probably save $200-400
Sounds like you have 2 gears engaged at the same time which turns the insides to piece parts real quick.

ninety8 GT

Mustang Fanatic
Established Member
Thanks for the input. I was just thinking, a car with 60,000 miles on it and a basically stock car, could i really have fu**ed the whole transmission or is there any chance that maybe it was just the clutch?

cobra96stang

Established Member
Get a junker for 600ish and put it in yourself.
Centerforce clutch 300 and surface your flywheel
Or get a TKO for 1300 and I think the bell housing is around 300
plus the centerforce clutch.

I would NOT have it rebuilt.
Also you might think about getting a good shifter if you don't already have one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread