Transmission issue

nick6690

Established Member
I was taking off from a stop sign in my truck at WOT and when it went to shift to 3rd it clunked and wouldn't hardly move anywhere and I had to drive home in 2nd gear. I checked the fluid and it was only a half quart low so I topped it off and drove it again. It seems to shift into every gear ok under normal throttle but at WOT it seems to slip into gear now, it's no longer a firm shift and it's a good bit slower. There's also a whining sound, kind of like a power steering pump that's low on fluid but it only starts at about 15mph and stops again around 10mph. The only mods my truck has are catback, 2.8 pulley and tune and has 111k miles. What could be the issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
What year is the truck? If it is a 2001 probably a "J" code transmission, famous for being weak. If not, that year, then you have blown the sprague and with the power steering "whine" most likely the pump is gone as well.

In any case, with that many miles, most likely you need to rebuild it and make it stronger. There is a valuable resource near you in GA. He frequents the other Lightning forums under the name "Blowerslut". PM him and get his number, he has helped me and several others, knows these transmissions inside and out.

Dusten

Established Member
the J1 transmissions aren't weak. They have 1 bad part that causes them to lose second gear. If he has second, its probably not the same issue

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
the J1 transmissions aren't weak. They have 1 bad part that causes them to lose second gear. If he has second, its probably not the same issue

Not starting an argument, weak was a poor word choice, but the '01 J code also has known problems with the solenoid packs, I am not an expert by any means, get with one of the better transmission guys, the can help.

Users who are viewing this thread