Transmission issue

G's Shelby

Established Member
Car is st the dealer cause I didn't know what it was. The car drives and will go into 1, 2, 3, 4 easy. The shifter will not go to the right so I can't go into 5,6 or reverse. Has anyone ever ran into this? I'm hoping I don't need a new transmission.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a new one. It would seem to be more of a shifter issue than a transmission issue, but you never know. Let us know what they find.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I wonder if a damaged motor or transmission mount would cause this problem? Maybe a damaged rear shifter mount or bad bushings in the shifter.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
5,6 and reverse arent part of the main gear cluster. Id lean toward there being an issue with the forks and shifter detent, but Im certainly interested in hearing what the Ford technician has to say about it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If the shifter has managed to roll out of alignment with the transmission, the shifter may not be able to rotate the shift shaft in the transmission far enough to engage the affected gears. That is why I mentioned the mounts.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If the shifter has managed to roll out of alignment with the transmission, the shifter may not be able to rotate the shift shaft in the transmission far enough to engage the affected gears. That is why I mentioned the mounts.
This is what i was thinking.

97snakebite

Established Member
I forget those transmissions don't have the shifter mounted directly to it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Is a bent fork fixable?
Yes, it's fixable. Is your average Ford technician capable of replacing it? I sort of doubt it. Still think it's shifter related, but it's interesting that Ford had them remove the transmission.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty stupid technicians if they couldn't figure that was a possible source of the problem before pulling the transmission.

[On edit] I had an original MGW in my car and there is a plastic bushing that goes on that pivot pin. I'd check to make sure you didn't lose one side of it. It's a split bushing. If the shifter still doesn't feel right, you might want to check that out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread