Transmission help

cdf1271

My friend and i recently installed a rebuilt trans in 98 cobra (t45). New clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, clutch fork, pilot bearing etc. Ran perfect for 5 minutes before the throwout bearing began making noise while in neutral with foot off the peddle. Also, the noise is not present upon start up until after the clutch is engaged the first time and the car is actually moved. We are kinda at a loss. Seems like maybe a the clutch is not adjusted right but to my knowledge the stock cable is pretty much non adjustable outside of pulling up on the peddle. Any ideas is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraSam

Established Member
Funny, I just discovered this yesterday with my car. Pretty much this exact thing. I’m gonna try adjusting my firewall adjuster and see what happens. We installed my MCCloud RST exactly per the instructions and my mechanic friend even spoke with McCloud Tech prior to installing. Maybe I can shed some insight within a day or two for you. I hope. If your car has a firewall adjuster, I’d start there. Easy enough

cdf1271

Hmm, let me know how yours turns out. I actually installed a mcleod clutch and flywheel to but still have the stock cable installed. I actually bought a steeda clutch cable, firewall adjuster, and quadrant but haven't installed yet. I wonder if that could be what my problem is. Thanks!

CobraSam

Established Member
We used the OEM cable with the firewall adjuster. So as soon as I can get over there to mess with it, I will update you. Good luck! Nothing worse than worrying about. $1,000 clutch! Haha

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Sometimes the ToB will act up if you don't get the spring clips correctly located on the bearing collar on install.

MG0h3

Established Member
The TOB should have light pressure against the PP fingers with your foot off the pedal. Just enough to have it be spinning.

I’d take a look through the inspection cover and see what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraSam

Established Member
OP, did u figure anything out?

I ended up adjusting the clutch fork alignment with the adjustable pivot ball. We might have mis aligned it while dealing with the firewall adjuster or something. No more noise now

cdf1271

OP, did u figure anything out?

I ended up adjusting the clutch fork alignment with the adjustable pivot ball. We might have mis aligned it while dealing with the firewall adjuster or something. No more noise now
Glad you got yours fixed. Haven't got the opportunity to mess with mine yet. Hopefully, we will get the time in the next week or so. Thanks for getting back to me with your results. I will update once we figure it out. Thanks again!

cdf1271

So it appears its finally fixed. My problem was the throwout bearing sleeve. Apparently, when the company that i bought the transmission from a few months ago rebuilt it, they didn't press in a new sleeve, causing the bearing noise i was getting. So with yet another throwout bearing and new sleeve, the transmission is final acting like it should. Needless to say, i wont do business with that transmission place as they didn't want to help me when I called them about the issue.
Glad you got yours fixed. Haven't got the opportunity to mess with mine yet. Hopefully, we will get the time in the next week or so. Thanks for getting back to me with your results. I will update once we figure it out. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread