Transmission grinding/going into gear when shifter is in neutral position?

MaximusDecimus

Established Member
So my cobra just started doing this 2 days ago. I will be in neutral while the car is on, usually after taking it out of gear like at a stop light or something, and I will feel the gears in the tranny start to engage. Sometimes it's just a marbles let loose in the case or other times it's actually accompanied by the car trying to lurch a bit. All I know is it doesn't sound good, feel good, and is not normal. Anyone ever have or hear of a similar problem?? It seems to get progressively worse. I really hope someone has info on this. Am I looking at a full tranny rebuild? I'd appreciate any input on the subject, thanks!

50GTMach1

Established Member
transmissin banging when sitting at complete stop and in neutal

sounds like the same problem i had. stock t56 tranny. whipple upgrade. pushing 600 hp. trans shifts fine in and out of gear but when sitting at a light i will hear and feel a bang and car lurches like someone just hit the car from behind.

not able to make the car repeat the problem. very sporadic. clutch cable snapped last week and after having the dealer install a stock cable (had an aftermarket cable and firewall adjuster before) and remove fire wall adjuster the problem has gone. driven the car several times and still the banging issue is gone. hopefully the cable was somehow the problem. (dont know how though)

dealer checked transmission by driving car several times and could not replicate the issue after the cable was swapped.

I have no hard evidence that the cable may have been causing the issue before it finally snapped but this may be an initial place to start.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread