Transmission/Clutch problems.. Not sure, Opinions please..

truculentSVT

Established Member
Had the car out tonight, and ended the night with a ride back to the garage in a rollback. Car is a Whipple 2.9, Spec 3+, Stock T-56 with 26 spline upgrade.. Anyways, was kinda playing with the car, powershifted 3rd to 4th and something gave out. Car goes in and out of gear fine, clutch pedal pressure feels fine, but you put it in gear and you get nothing. It does the same in gear as it is in neutral. In all 6 gears and reverse are the same. However, you can hear chattering, towards the middle or front of the transmission. Not everytime, but sometimes now when you turn it off it will chatter like that also. Everything else is okay, it just won't pull out or do anything at all in gear. Anyone have an idea? Thanks for any help in advance..

jdgt03

Established Member
If it just acts like its in neutral in all gears, then sounds like the shift rail broke, which is what holds all the forks to the blocker rings and shifts the trans when you move the shifter. I would pull the shifter and see if you can move the rod that the shifter goes into(rail assembly) if it moves real free like loose, then chances are its broke. Regardless its got to come out man, sorry. Good luck with it.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
It does sound like a input shaft. When I broke my 10spline on the 3-4 shift it made a loud pop noise.

truculentSVT

Established Member
Initially, thats what I thought it was- Input shaft

Yeah, its a 26 spline liberty thats in it..

truculentSVT

Established Member
UPDATE:

Turns out, what we all expected-- was right..

Input shaft is broke right in two... Liberty 26 spline FTL! O well

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
Nice. No more roll backs. Do you have the billet retainer? That should help with less play but IDK. Please post pics.

truculentSVT

Established Member
Here is a pic of the input shaft.. So much for the thought the 26 spline won't break.. LOL

DSC00153.jpg

Ironhand

Banned
The line on the input shaft looks like its at an angle. Trans misalignment to the bellhousing or clutch maybe.

truculentSVT

Established Member
Well after doing a little research, I pretty much figured out the problem with the input shaft. Turns out that Liberty welds their input shafts and then machine them. This time I went with a D&D (a true tremec piece) and looked at them side by side, and the new one is a much better built piece.

cobracide

Established Member
Well after doing a little research, I pretty much figured out the problem with the input shaft. Turns out that Liberty welds their input shafts and then machine them. This time I went with a D&D (a true tremec piece) and looked at them side by side, and the new one is a much better built piece.

Yeah, Liberty welded blows... D&D buy from Tremec.

Users who are viewing this thread