Trans vent leak?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Im trying to figure out a leak from the t45 in my race car. Ive just about nailed it down to the stock vent on the side. Anyone else ever see this?

My first thought was that the vent's too high on the side of the trans to get any fluid seeping out but I dont know where the heck else it could be coming from. :??:

Ive gone so far as to take a 90° plastic hose barb fitting and turn the threads down until it was a slight interference fit with the hole on the side of the trans. I used some silicone rtv and sealed the fitting to the side of the trans. The fitting is attached to a hose run along the side of the trans and attached to a breather up behind the pass valve cover.

Guess Ill see if this fixes the problem or if my t45 is leaking from somewhere else.

svtguy

Established Member
Im trying to figure out a leak from the t45 in my race car. Ive just about nailed it down to the stock vent on the side. Anyone else ever see this?

My first thought was that the vent's too high on the side of the trans to get any fluid seeping out but I dont know where the heck else it could be coming from. :??:

Ive gone so far as to take a 90° plastic hose barb fitting and turn the threads down until it was a slight interference fit with the hole on the side of the trans. I used some silicone rtv and sealed the fitting to the side of the trans. The fitting is attached to a hose run along the side of the trans and attached to a breather up behind the pass valve cover.

Guess Ill see if this fixes the problem or if my t45 is leaking from somewhere else.

The T56's have a remote vent. The vent line is still connected on the right side of the trans next to the shifter but then a plastic tube connects to it and runs along the side of the trans up to the top of the bellhousing where it would vent the excess pressure.

In my 2000R, if T56 trans fluid temp gets above 260, it would vent some fluid out of the tube and get on the clutch. I replaced the original fluid with a better synthetic fluid and that fixed it.

Paul.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. Makes me think I might be seeing a similar issue with my T45 puking fluid at high temps. Hopefully my fix of running a long hose and a breather will do the trick.

Im running Pennzoil Syncromesh, I need to drain and refill before the season begins but didnt want to refill if I have a leak somewhere.

:beer:
Anthony

Last edited:

SVECobraR

Established Member
I have the same issue with my 3650. My tans guy told me the vent may be clogged but I couldn't find a way to remove and clean it. I've been chasing the leak for a year now.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Follow up-

The relocated breather solved my trans leak issue.

Crossmember is dry with no fluid on it after 5 races.

Sirl

Established Member
Sorry, way off topic.. but quick question.
Your racecar has a T45.

Do you still have the 5th gear over drive?

I have been searching and searching, and have not been able to find a Road Race 5th gear for the T45. I've been told that NO ONE makes one for this trans.

I'm keeping my eyes out for a T56, but, if I can find a 5th gear for my T45, I'll just go that route.

Any help would be great.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
On the tracks around here Ive never had to reach for 5th gear. Even at MAM which has something like an 1800' front straight, Ive never wrapped out 4th with 3.73s.

Sirl

Established Member
I see.
With my 2V, only 260 hp, and 5800 rpm readline,
I'm in 5th on every track.

The car drops to about 3800 rpm and just sits there... Zero power.

In fact, last time at Homestead, with a friend in his 97 Cobra, I calculated that I made 4 additional up/down shifts, 8 shifts more in total. Sux.

Ok, thanks guys

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread