Trans Temp 400*s???

04gtstang

Established Member
I just Datalogged my dads 01L with my SCT software (ALOT of different things) and I noticed the trans temp was hovering a little over 400*s. I did a 1-3rd WOT pull and it cooled down to 400 durring the pull and then down to 390 after I let off. Isnt that rediculously hot? Timing was around 11*s in 3rd so that seems ok....IATs were 150 at the top of the pull.

We are trying to find a problem with it because last night all she would do was a 14.6 @ 94MPH with several runs. 14.6-14.8 @ 92-94MPH. 60*s outside with a 628" D.A. Seeing 11PSI via stock gauge. Truck is STOCK minus boost bypass mod. He just bought it about a month ago with 72K on the clock.

So what do you guys think? Thanks for any help :burnout:

And ill attach the datalog in about 2 hours if anyone needs it.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Holy heck #1 - 628" DA. Wow I wsh we could see that here in SoCal. No wonder why Texas guys seem fast :D ...

Holy heck #2 - 400*. The fluid would be burnt to hell, the trans would probably not be shifting and tc would be burnt up. The whole transmission would be faulty. There has got to be something wrong with the reading. Smeel your dipstick, doe sit smeel burnt? Look at the fluid, does it look burnt and dark?.. Stan

Dusten

Established Member
typically anything over 200* if a failing point on an auto, 400* and that thing would self destruct, i recommend you follow stans advice

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Were you logging Transmission_Oil_Temp or similar? Did you check the fluid level itself? Anything over 200* is doom for the trans. Post up the log or a screenshot when you can.

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
My trans temps always read crazy hot with my Predator. After worrying about it for a short time and repeatedly checking the fluid color and smell I just chalked it up to a bad sensor, or poor communication to the ECM. No way yours can be 400+ degrees.
Jim

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I'd like to add one thing to this thread.... Reverse the boost bypass mod. Do a search and you'll see why.

04gtstang

Established Member
^I researched it...but didnt find many bad things said about it. So whats your take?

Thanks for all the help...at this point I have no idea whats going on. I just know the truck is running ALOT slower than it should be running.

I couldnt attach the file here so I did it on SCTs site in one of my old posts. here is the link to that single post. You MAY have to login to download...but anyone can join. http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56470&postcount=2

Thanks again :beer:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
^I researched it...but didnt find many bad things said about it. So whats your take?

Thanks for all the help...at this point I have no idea whats going on. I just know the truck is running ALOT slower than it should be running.

I couldnt attach the file here so I did it on SCTs site in one of my old posts. here is the link to that single post. You MAY have to login to download...but anyone can join. http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56470&postcount=2

Thanks again :beer:

The boost bypass is in place to allow boost to bleed off during normal driving conditions. It's vacuum referenced and will close when it senses more boost. If you have the "mod" installed you're affectively preventing the bypass from performing it's function. This can cause the blower to get hotter and discharge hotter air. Most people do it because their under the false assumption that it'll increase boost or give them more power. It in fact will not. Some have also done this mod because they say that during a burnout, if the engine is over-revved, a safety mechanism will cause the bypass to stay open and boost will be dumped when they make their pass. Crappy times will result. There are two ways to prevent this from happening.... One, don't over-rev the engine during the burnout. Two, disconnect the boost bypass sensor when you get to the track and plug it back in when you leave.

04gtstang

Established Member
Maybe why it was seeing 116* intake temps at idle in 75* weather LOL. I appreciate the explanation very much.

But one question that my searching a few minuts ago couldnt turn up. Before the "mod" it was seeing 8PSI on the gauge. Immediatly afterwards it would climb to 10PSI near the top of each gear and stay @ 10 all the way through 3rd. Last night it was pegging the stock gauge up against its stop past 10PSI. Why is this mod making the boost gauge read higher?

Does the bypass vent boost back into the intake line AFTER THE MAF, or somewhere before the MAF? Latter would seem to create a rich codition and former would mean I could datalog #/MIN airflow and see if the "mod" really does allow it to use more air.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
If your trans temp were at 400 deg, it be puking the fluid out any and every opening. 200 is actually around normal for a 4r100 a bit on the high side, but in trafic a stock 4r100 can see 210. Getting into thew 230 to 250 range is overheating, at 300 its starts eating itself up and burning, so 400 deg would be bad.. if your temp sensor is bad, you will end up having to replace the entire solenoid pack. A quick test to check your bypass, Warm up the trans. Then disconnect the rear line from the trans, hold the rpm at 1000 you should have no fluid coming out of the transmission, if you do, either the bypass is bad, or there is a restriction in the cooling system

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Maybe why it was seeing 116* intake temps at idle in 75* weather LOL. I appreciate the explanation very much.

But one question that my searching a few minuts ago couldnt turn up. Before the "mod" it was seeing 8PSI on the gauge. Immediatly afterwards it would climb to 10PSI near the top of each gear and stay @ 10 all the way through 3rd. Last night it was pegging the stock gauge up against its stop past 10PSI. Why is this mod making the boost gauge read higher?

Does the bypass vent boost back into the intake line AFTER THE MAF, or somewhere before the MAF? Latter would seem to create a rich codition and former would mean I could datalog #/MIN airflow and see if the "mod" really does allow it to use more air.

You're gonna see more boost in cooler weather.

wicked90lx

Established Member
you might peak at 300 deg. with a snythic ATF for about 2 mins, if you are lucky and then it will turn its self inside out. But anything over 250 with Mercon, you might as well be pulling the tranny out, if ur not setting on the sit of the road.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
There has to be some malfunction in the temp sensor. Like these fellas have said, if it's actually that hot, you would know it.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
There has to be some malfunction in the temp sensor. Like these fellas have said, if it's actually that hot, you would know it.

And so would everyone else around you. I have only see highs at about 215. Heavy traffic in the middle of the summer
(woodward dream cruise)

04gtstang

Established Member
As far as boost bypass is concerned, I performed the mod a few months ago. took it around the block for a BEFORE run and it saw 8PSI through every gear. Went to town and picked up the fittings and came back. Did the simple mod, went around the block and 10PSI. It was ALWAYS very consistant and never saw over 8PSI until the moment I did the bypass. It was in the 90* range I believe that day.

so it is seeing 2 more PSI on the gauge with the mod performed vs without it...thats 100% confirmed. Same day, same weather. So my question is HOW is it seeing more boost on the guage, yet not seeing more boost in the engine?

Ill datalog it again next week from the moment I fire it up and see what the temp is showing. I really appreciate all the help guys :)

Anyone think a 76MPH 1/8 trap and 94MPH 1/4 trap with a 622' D.A a BIT low? Thats what the truck did with 2 different drivers. Its was dead even with a stock dodge charger daytona until the 1/8 and then the daytona started pulling and trapped 2-3MPH higher. This truck should be doing well over 80 in the 1/8 and atleast 100 in the 1/4. A stock 99-04 GT mustang will easily pull this truck LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread