Trans Swap Opinions! Which is the best and why

bdt115

Established Member
Planning out my next build. I've seen a few different transmissions swapped into our cars. So, with that being said, I'm posting here asking for y'alls opinions on which trans setup can hold the most hp. Still deciding on whether or not I want to stay manual, or swap auto. Trans needs to hold 1000+hp reliably and be pretty streetable.

List of swaps I've seen (or setups)

Manual-
Upgraded MT-82s
TR6060
Magnum XL

Auto-
Upgraded 6R80
4L80E
Powerglides

Remember, COMPLETELY OPINIONATED THREAD. Let me know what you guys know, I'm here to learn :)
....................oh, and here's my car, because everyone loves a thread with pictures! haha. currently sitting about a days worth of work away from finally being finished with the turbo install and everything else that was put on but it'll have to wait as I am recovering from a serious motorcycle accident. anyways, enough of me talking, lets hear it!!

15073379_10202759956877127_1322502258294448391_n.jpg

hand-filer

Established Member
With that kind of power I'd consider the Magnum XL if banging gears is your thing or the upgraded 6R80 if lowest numbers is a priority.

Sorry to hear about your motorcycle misfortune, I've been there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Q

Established Member
If your a turbo car that likes to see alot of track time the TH400 is a great choice. A moderately built 400 will hold 1000 whp, it's streetable just run's a little higher in the rpm range depending on rear gear selection. If the car is your daily I would stick to a manual transmission but if the goal is to go as fast as you can an auto swap is what you want. 6R80 is a good choice as well but you lose the transbrake option like you get with the 400 so kind of depends what your end goals are.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I would get the TR6060 with the same gear ratios as the 13/14 GT500 with an upgraded input shaft, blow-proof bell housing and a McLeod RXT 1200 clutch kit. I'd put a braided SS clutch line in too.

When I was racing, I went through two TR3650's, two 5R55s' and the TR6060. The TR6060 gave me the best times for the manuals and took a beating better than all 4 of the others. An untouched TR6060 is good for 800+ with no issues. Upgrading the input shaft and the McLeod clutch will put you in the 1200HP range, no problems.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Go 6R80! Buy mine :) I pulled mine out and put in a manual. I missed rowing gears and my car was paid for, so the swap for me was pretty cost effective.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Magnum is the aftermarket version of a TR6060 with a detachable bell housing and direct shifter.

You really need to narrow down your goals and price point.

bdt115

Established Member

pm sent about trans

Thanks guys for a little bit of insight here. I need my drivetrain built, starting with trans. end hp goal for the car is 11-1200hp. its twin turbo'd. manual or auto does matter which just wanted to know your opinions based on your experiences with what you have used. Also, the car is not a daily driver for me as i have other vehicles but i need it to be 'daily driver reliable'. this way i can get in and drive it whenever to car meets or shows or to work occasionally. thanks for the input so for so i have a little bit of direction to look into

Users who are viewing this thread