Trans Oil Pan

36FORD Mike

Established Member
I will need to change the trans fluid soon on my L.

I just received the new SVT enthusiast mag and on the back cover Moroso has a new pan #42050.

Any feedback on this?

I can get it at work for 129.00

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
That's a little expensive. You can use a Ford 4x4 pan for about $30-$40. If your Lightning is lowered very much you don't want the deep pan. I know from experience.

faylo

Established Member
Does the 4x4 pan hang lower than the Moroso? Or the Ford Racing trans pan? I've seen a non-lowered car that lost a drain plug on a boat ramp and it is not a pretty sight.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by faylo
Does the 4x4 pan hang lower than the Moroso? Or the Ford Racing trans pan? I've seen a non-lowered car that lost a drain plug on a boat ramp and it is not a pretty sight.

I haven't seen the Moroso pan. I was running the 4x4 pan and came out to a big red puddle under my truck in my driveway.

36FORD Mike

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys.

Nice pictures Biggestjohnson. I can get the B&M pan for about the same price.

As you can see, the Moroso pan is 3.642" deep.

How deep are the 4X4 and the B&M?

My truck is not lowered, but sure would not want to puncture the pan. Also like the drain plug on the side of the Moroso where it would not catch anything.

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by LTNG FST
Anybody running the FTVB with the stock pan?

YES, many run with the stock pan. Greg E. the FTVB guy states not necesssary to change the pan.. IF you live say in a very hot climate a bigger pan is a plus but for most of us it is not. A reason to go with the stock pan when doing the FTVB is so Ford has less clues you have a FTVB. Just be sure to remove Gregg E's initials from the FTVB ( I think they clen off) you install and Ford will not know unless they really do a super super close eval of the valve body. Of course a tech that is familar with the way a stock valve body shifts will know something is a muck but probably figure your stock valve body is just friggging up. Hey, be sure to NEVER use Mercon 5 in your L. Use Mercon / Dextron III.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread