Trans Noise

zachcrosen

Established Member
With the car running and the clutch pedal not engaged, I am getting a loud buzzing or humming sound. When I press the pedal in, it goes away. Its so loud, you can hear it over my exhaust and AFCO HE! I have been told by several guys that it is the TOB going out. I also read in some threads that it might be something internal to the trans. I have had a slight sound like this since not long after I got the car but never worried about as I modded from the day I bought it! I am thinking that if the TOB is going, I might as well upgrade the clutch, flywheel and line while in there.

I was looking at the Spec 3+ but it says it holds ~875 ft/lbs. Anyone know if this is at the flywheel or the ground? I also read that this clutch has chatter. So, this leads me to the McLeod RXT. When I upgrade the clutch, I want to make sure I have plenty of room for more power down the road. At some point, I will have to build a motor and will step down pulleys! How much power are you guys running thru the McLeod? What about the TOB. I see an Exedy one from AM but I don't really see any other ones with a quick search.

What are you guys running and what power numbers with the combo?

TIA,
Zach

Dan12GT

Established Member
Sounds like a TOB. My 01 made an identical noise just as you described and the TOB was dried up so bad when I removed it it completely disintegrated. My guess with all that extra power you are pushing it caused it to prematurely go out.

Users who are viewing this thread