Trans issues? Not sure what the prob is. Help!!?!

TX_Snake_08

Established Member
So I just picked up my car following the install of a new 35 spline diff and 35 spline axles from Strange. Was pumped to get her back on the road.

Well, I go to move the car...shift it into first, let off the clutch and give it some gas....nothing..then it grinds and catches..jumps forward...no issues getting into first gear, but once its in gear and I attempt to move...thats when the issues occur.

Grab the mechanic who did the rear end work and show him what its doing, did a run down the street and back. Did it 2-3 more times. Only from a dead stop, only coming out of first. No issues going shifting, going into gear, nothing else. Just from a dead stop in first.

I have a built 6060 from RPM Transmissions, has MAYBE 500 miles on it. HELP PLEASE.

Last edited:

railroad

Established Member
I would check the shifter stops first. Very unusual for it to happen in first only, sorta eliminates the rear end work, unless you get it to do it taking off in second. What type of locking rear did you buy?
Back to the trans, if you are not getting into 1st gear all the way, it might do as described. You would think it would jump out of gear instead of engaging. Did you hold onto the shifter while this happened?
If it does it in second gear, I would pull the rear, probably not the trans. If you have a Go Pro and you can see the driveshaft turn the car not move, it is definitely the rear.

railroad

Established Member
If it occurred before the rear end work, that would eliminate those parts from question. The stops may be internal, not being familiar with all model. Holding the shifter in gear should keep the slider gear from moving while engaged. You might be able to feel it through the shifter. If it does not do it in second, from a start or other gears, I would say you have some damage on the slider, sync or cluster gear. A lube change might reveal any metal particles. Let us know what you find.

Try backing up, put it in second gear and if it does it, might bring the clutch into question.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Although it seems at this point unintentional, your first post reads: "I had work done on the rearend and now my car won't go into first gear" - which appears to ask whether one can lead to the other. You might want to edit that so you can get better responses.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Although it seems at this point unintentional, your first post reads: "I had work done on the rearend and now my car won't go into first gear" - which appears to ask whether one can lead to the other. You might want to edit that so you can get better responses.

I agree with Fullboogie.
Since the problem already existed before the rearend work, mentioning the rearend just muddies the water and draws attention away from the real problem.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Did the problem exist before you installed the MGW shifter and which version of the shifter are you using, 1st or 2nd Gen?

BOOCOCKY

Established Member
It can be easily installed backwards and keep you from shifting into gear fully. It can cause the back of the shifter to bottom out when you are shifting, ask me how I know.

TX_Snake_08

Established Member
Welp, it was the pilot bearing and the master slave.

That slave being broken going back and forth and broken pilot bearing could have caused damage to the crank shaft if I would have kept beating the shit out of it. Could have been catastrophic.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Please post up how you feel about the S-Trak setup after you experience some miles. I'm looking to do the same setup and would appreciate some honest feedback. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread