Trans is out for Whipplecharged Sonic

Blue03

Established Member
Well, we have the trans out and will be delivered to Liberty tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will be ready by close of business Thursday. We will finish it then. Someone says Tony can get the IRS brace on in 25 min. We could use that talent Thursday night(LOL) or it may take us a bit longer. Hopefully Brent will now be able to exercise all that Whipple power after this. :burnout:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Snakebite said:
Not without half shafts he won't! :nono: :p

Your crazy dude. They have lasted (thus far) well over a hundred quarter mile passes...just need to know how to launch and of course AVOID WHEEL HOP!!! They are on my list though... :thumbsup:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
Your crazy dude. They have lasted (thus far) well over a hundred quarter mile passes...just need to know how to launch and of course AVOID WHEEL HOP!!! They are on my list though... :thumbsup:

We shall see...

Just as man was created with only some many breaths in a lifetime...so too was the feeble Ford half shaft. :fart:

Jpjr

Established Member
its too bad dss can't spend an extra 20 mins to save us 2 or more hours. if you didn't have to change the inner CV a(nd/or press in hubs) you could change your half shafts in about 7 minutes. of course then the handful of people that can afford them would be cut in half.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Just got back from Liberty's. They said I will have my Tranny back by COB tomorrow. So we are good to go on the re-install guys.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Will have the trans by 4:00-4:30 tomorrow and be to Rich's house by 5:00. Anybody want to come lend a hand or watch is more then welcome.

Blue03

Established Member
Cool, that's good news. We will finish it before dark. Remeber to bring the pressure plate bolt specs!

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Blue03 said:
Cool, that's good news. We will finish it before dark. Remeber to bring the pressure plate bolt specs!

Flywheel to Crank: 70 ft. lbs.
Clutch cover to Flywheel: 40 ft. lbs.
Driveshaft bolts: 105 ft. lbs.

;-)

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Snakebite said:

;-)

That sure ain't what Ford says.

Flywheel to Crank = 63 lb-ft
Clutch Cover to Flywheel = 33 lb-ft then another 60 degrees
Driveshaft bolts = locktite & 83 lb-ft

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
That sure ain't what Ford says.

Flywheel to Crank = 63 lb-ft
Clutch Cover to Flywheel = 33 lb-ft then another 60 degrees
Driveshaft bolts = locktite & 83 lb-ft

I have found torque specs to vary depending on sources. If you have the Ford manual...that would be the BEST source to use. But a few "FT. LB." difference is not all that critical.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Snakebite said:
I have found torque specs to vary depending on sources. If you have the Ford manual...that would be the BEST source to use. But a few "FT. LB." difference is not all that critical.

True. I just wondered if you got something different from SPEC cause I sure didn't get anything from CF. I just pulled and printed the specs from work here and that is what they say...so that is what I will do.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
True. I just wondered if you got something different from SPEC cause I sure didn't get anything from CF. I just pulled and printed the specs from work here and that is what they say...so that is what I will do.

I agree...do what the Ford manual recommends.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Snakebite said:

;-)

those #'s are scratchy approved ;-)

Sunny-D held the crow bar jammed in the teeth of the flywheel while I torqued. Tymensky scared the crap out of us saying if the engine rotated backwards (rightie tightie) the timing chain guides would fall/break/move/ due to no oil pressure or something. Nervous times.....

I am never modding another car :bowdown:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
postban said:
those #'s are scratchy approved ;-)
I am never modding another car :bowdown:

AHHH
Your not aloud to say that until the one you have is finished!

JP

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
First and foremost, I cannot thank Rich (Blue03) and Tim (TBone) enough for helping out with this. Without their help and Richs lift, the job would have been a real bitch.

Clutch is in. No real hiccups besides Liberty forgetting to install the ball stud for the clutch fork. Had to drive up there at 7:00 tonight and get it. Thankfully Craig was there. Other then that it went smooth as can be.

On my brief 1 mile drive home, the clutch pedal is REAL lite. It engages real low which I hate. I have to either adjust the firewall adjuster more or put the cable on the 3rd hook. Problem is there is not a whole lot of room left for me to back the adjuster out...pretty close to hitting the valve cover. It drives pretty much like the stock clutch. You can slip it and there is no chatter whatsoever. So now it is a waiting game (500 miles) before I can hammer on it...

Blue03

Established Member
Well, the clutch is done and everything is well. Brent just needs to excercise some restraint and put a few break in miles on 'er. We waited around for someone who said they might come over(hint: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: ) but that individual didn't make it. Actually we had it done quick. The only snafu was Liberty unscrewed the throwout fork ball stud and forgot to put in back in. Luckily somone was still there so we went and picked it up. Another one bites the dust! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread