Trans help please

unibager

Established Member
I have my cobra with the factory trans. I have changed the oil in it a while ago to flush it, and then refilled with mobil-1 synthetic auto-trans fluid. The clutch is kind of weak (probably factory). My problem, is that the pig is getting really hard to get into any gear. Any suggestions/ Thanks in advance.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Where does the clutch release at? top, bottom, halfway? Have you had any clutch slippage issues? Does it happen on all gears or just one

unibager

Established Member
Clutch releases about half way, and I do have an adjustable quadrant. The clutch does not seem to slip, atleast not to where the rpms sky-rocket and the car stays still. All gears are hard to get into, and it seems like I have to wait a sec while pushing (no speed shifting here). I am at a loss as if it is the trans, or the clutch.

SVT1993

Established Member
Maybe the throw out bearing shaft? Were aluminum shafts still being used by the time the Cobras were built?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
yes they were.

Unibager, any idea on how many miles the stock clutch has on it? Is your engine stock or modified

cobra93

Established Member
My guess is that you are experiencing too little clutch air gap. This is most likely caused by a stretched clutch cable. You can add a little extra preload on the TO bearing and see if this helps. Too much preload and you will start to slip the clutch, so be aware of that. A new clutch cable might be in order.

unibager

Established Member
My engine is stock with the exception of the mass air, headers and such. I also have a ne cable for the clutch, and when I adjust it for more tension - the shifting gets a little easier, but goes back to the way it was in a few miles. It really has me confused, because the last time my clutch was going, it slipped before any shifting problems came up. Of course, I was making alot more power with my other car. I really appreciate the help, and am leaning towards a new clutch.

SVT1993

Established Member
unibager said:
My engine is stock with the exception of the mass air, headers and such. I also have a ne cable for the clutch, and when I adjust it for more tension - the shifting gets a little easier, but goes back to the way it was in a few miles. It really has me confused, because the last time my clutch was going, it slipped before any shifting problems came up. Of course, I was making alot more power with my other car. I really appreciate the help, and am leaning towards a new clutch.

If it's not the cable, it sounds like a presure plate or the throw out bearing shaft. Either way, it sounds like your going to have to pull the tranny to see.

Do you know about the throw out bearing shaft? When the aluminum shaft gets worn by the sliding motion of the TOB, grooves are worn into the shaft surface and make it hard for the clutch to function properly. If you do find that you have a worn shaft, you can replace it with a steel one.

How many miles on your car?

SVT Fun

Established Member
unibager said:
I have my cobra with the factory trans. I have changed the oil in it a while ago to flush it, and then refilled with mobil-1 synthetic auto-trans fluid. The clutch is kind of weak (probably factory). My problem, is that the pig is getting really hard to get into any gear. Any suggestions/ Thanks in advance.

At this point it could be a myriad of things.

In all honesty, never heard of flushing a 5 speed transmission, either.

BUT...after hearing everyone scream from the mountain tops about synthetic fluids I decided to try them...after SERIOUS problems I switched back to conventional fluids. The owner's guide recommends conventional 10W30 weight oil. The rear axle calls for a weight of lubricant which is no longer available from Ford. Seems like the replacement fluid is 80W90. Friction modifier is required too. The transmission calls for ATF fluid and that's what I use. Seems like this is the Mercon/Dexron II/III. As stated, this is what the 93 Owner's Manual has listed in the service section. It is very specific down to the part numbers. Check it out.

If memory serves the transmission fill requirement is 5.6 pints per the owner's manual. In other words, 3 quarts is too much. Many call for 3 quarts, but it just don't fit. Words of experience here. 3 quarts will have it running out the check plug.

unibager

Established Member
Thanks, but I dont have an owners manual. The car was a salvage with no fancy books or anything. I do have atf in the trans now. I really appreciate all the advice. I will change the clutch and see whats up, I just hope the flywheel is not cracked from age. Thanks again all.

jonw357

Established Member
Yeah the fluid sounds like your problem. I did the same. Made mine tuff to get in gear too. So I drained it agian and put GM Synchro Mesh in it and shifted better than before. I dont know what makes that stuff so good but it works.

unibager

Established Member
Alright, I just ordered the stuff. I got a new lightweight XTD flywheel, and a king cobra clutch kit. This way all is new, and I found that 93 cobras had a steel shafted TO bearing retainer, so that should still be good. I'll let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks again for the great forum support and advice.

SVT Fun

Established Member
Very, very good daily driving clutch, the King Cobra clutch kit, that is.
It is a good idea to replace everything down to the pilot bearing on these kinds of jobs. Pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing....Be sure to spray the surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner before installing them as it is a good idea to put this stuff in clean. The directions, more than likely, will instruct you to spray the clutch disc itself with cleaner. Do NOT spray the clutch disc with cleaner, only the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces.

Enjoy the new parts. After installing all new items such as this, one doesn't even have to press the gas pedal to get the Cobra rolling, just let off the clutch pedal and enjoy how smooth "new" parts are in that area of the Cobra.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
unibager said:
Alright, I just ordered the stuff. I got a new lightweight XTD flywheel, and a king cobra clutch kit. This way all is new, and I found that 93 cobras had a steel shafted TO bearing retainer, so that should still be good. I'll let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks again for the great forum support and advice.

FWIW, my cobra did not come with a stainless retainer. I put one on when mine went south at 90k miles

Users who are viewing this thread