Trans Fluid change

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I know there are alot of different types of fluids that people are putting in their T-56. I changed mine over to Royal Purples ATF awhile ago and I think i'm about due to change it. I know Ford recommends Mercon and that has been superseeded by Mercon V. I have access to both but i know that like i said earlier that there are people that swear by other products. I am worried about this because i have been having issues shifting into gears at high rpm. My scenario is this, I had stock 3:55 gears and stock clutch and stock quadrant and at the track or even around town intermittently i could not get it into 3rd gear to save my life until it slowed down. Then i changed the rear gears to 3:73's and now im having issues with 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd. since my last track outing i finally put in a firewall adjuster and upr quadrant with the factory cable. i have always had a spec 3 clutch. im hoping that the quadrant and adjustment has helped but a good quality trans fluid is hopefully an answer also. I wont know anything til the car is back together from the SRA swap. still need catback and new rear springs oh and new gears

03mgtermi

Established Member
RP has some of the best lubricants out there. I would go with the RP syncromax for manual transmissions. Seems to be the best fluid for poor shifting T56's

metaman

Established Member
Use the Royal Purple Syncromax Instead. It works better than the ATF in our trans. I was shocked at how smoothly it caused the shifter to feel.

Last edited:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
so the royal purple syncromax is the stuff to use... good to know, another thing that i can do when i get back to the states.

Alwaysready

Established Member
ya i just put in pennzoil synchromesh from advance auto
it smoothed shifting alot but didnt solve my not shifting at high rpm problems..
think i might have the flywheel cut or something..

Users who are viewing this thread