Trans chatter after 26 spline input install

WaffleMan

Established Member
Installed spec 3+ clutch and 26 spline input, checked end play and thought I did everything right, new TOB, retainer sleeve, and pilot bearing. Put it all back together and used penzoil synchromesh. Car drives fine and shifts fine, but when in neutral with clutch engaged the trans chatters, push clutch in and it goes away. You can hear it just with the car running and standing next to it, it's pretty audible. Took it trans shop and they pulled everything apart and said it all looks good to them, even compared the number of teeth on the new shaft with the stock 10 spline shaft and the angle of the teeth. Trans shop owner keeps saying. It could just be a combo of they way the new shaft gears are cut and using the lighter weight trans oil. Any ideas? About to get a new shaft to try another one to see if that's fixes the problem

cj428mach

Established Member
Did you resurface the flywheel or replace it?

It was a used flywheel/clutch assembly that he installed. The problem is there anytime the clutch pedal isn't pushed down so the problem isn't related to the flywheel surface.

Benz_tech

Kinda Lost
Established Member
A over heated, worn, or too thin of a flywheel will cause chatter when engaged. The problem with buying used parts is the
Inspection process you need perform should be VERY thurough. If you haven't done it already I would get them
Balanced together as well. If there is any defect like my flywheel I had that was warped, which caused my clucth chatter and other things, it can be found during the balancing process. (My flywheel was VERY warped and I should have caught it when I inspected it
It was easily seen:bash: )
Here is a little help page on clucth chatter:
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/manual-transmission-clutch-chatter.html

01yellercobra

Established Member
A over heated, worn, or too thin of a flywheel will cause chatter when engaged. The problem with buying used parts is the
Inspection process you need perform should be VERY thurough. If you haven't done it already I would get them
Balanced together as well. If there is any defect like my flywheel I had that was warped, which caused my clucth chatter and other things, it can be found during the balancing process. (My flywheel was VERY warped and I should have caught it when I inspected it
It was easily seen:bash: )
Here is a little help page on clucth chatter:
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/manual-transmission-clutch-chatter.html

That would make sense if it was while he was engaging or disengaging the clutch. The fact that it happens with the car sitting still in neutral takes the flywheel and clutch out of the equation.

My last T-56 was noisy in neutral. It didn't clatter, but there was a noticeable growling when it was in neutral with the clutch released. How many miles were on it when the shop looked at it? Was it enough to show abnormal wear on the gears if something was off?

Users who are viewing this thread