Trans Am race video/Daytona

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Well....it was short but fun. I pick up new tracks slowly sometimes and because Daytona requires 6th gear and I never use 6th gear there was a period of adjustment to get comfortable with the new shifting.

By the race I started to get a feel for the braking zones and after the first caution I was ready to start passing cars. I had a run on the orange car out of nascar t4 but the car didn't want to take 6th gear for a moment and I lost the passing opportunity. The next time by the shifter shaft broke and we were done.

Here's the video. Enjoy.

trans am 2013 daytona the restart - YouTube

isrboss

Established Member
Great vid thanks for sharing. I've been looking at all the in car I can find of competent drivers at Daytona. It will be my first time there Dec 6., and looking for a good line. Does not look like there are many lines though, Daytona does not seem to technical, just need ballz on them wallz (banking) and a clean way through the chicane.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Alloy Snake

Established Member
Great vid thanks for sharing. I've been looking at all the in car I can find of competent drivers at Daytona. It will be my first time there Dec 6., and looking for a good line. Does not look like there are many lines though, Daytona does not seem to technical, just need ballz on them wallz (banking) and a clean way through the chicane.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Guess I will see Ya there,It will be my 4th time going and the track is alot of fun and can be intimidating,Van@ Revanracing has a video from a few years ago in his 07 that helped me a bunch before my first time.

isrboss

Established Member
Guess I will see Ya there,It will be my 4th time going and the track is alot of fun and can be intimidating,Van@ Revanracing has a video from a few years ago in his 07 that helped me a bunch before my first time.
Nice! I look forward to seeing you there.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
you should reconsider some of what you said there. not sure what you meant by technical. some people mean its technical as in hard and not technical as in easy.
don't jump to that conclusion, that its easy.

first of all, your tire pressures are not what you are used to. you have to run higher pressures all the way around than normal and then more pressure than that in the right side tires. this is so the banking doesn't kill your tires and then you. then with those pressures the car under HEAVY braking is not what you are used to and the infield right turns are all messed up.

so......rethink that.

isrboss

Established Member
You're just mad because you finished last, don't take it out on me smarty pants.:kaboom:

cluscher

Established Member
Getting used to the speed and establishing your braking zones are definitely a challenge. Finding the precise brake point to reel in the all the speed takes a lot of reps. Off camber turns and having to look out the top left corner of your windshield in the high banks to adequately see far enough ahead of you takes some getting used to. I'll be there on the 6th too....can't wait!

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
um...finished 4th. not last. I am not taking anything out on you. I am saying that having two to four more pounds of air in your right side tires so that they done blow in the banking makes the two right hand horseshoes like ice. Even the best drivers talked about how slow you have to take them because you have no grip.

smarty pants....first time ive ever been called that. I will note this for the record that I cant say that anymore.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Getting used to the speed and establishing your braking zones are definitely a challenge. Finding the precise brake point to reel in the all the speed takes a lot of reps. Off camber turns and having to look out the top left corner of your windshield in the high banks to adequately see far enough ahead of you takes some getting used to. I'll be there on the 6th too....can't wait!

maybe the most interesting part of the experience was being able to see three wide behind you out the driver's side wing mirror.

isrboss

Established Member
um...finished 4th. not last. I am not taking anything out on you. I am saying that having two to four more pounds of air in your right side tires so that they done blow in the banking makes the two right hand horseshoes like ice. Even the best drivers talked about how slow you have to take them because you have no grip.

smarty pants....first time ive ever been called that. I will note this for the record that I cant say that anymore.

I was just busting your balls! I was looking for pointers and insight like what cluscher posted. I am already in the know about how to set psi, and I am on streets, so I usually run them 42-43 psi so I'm planning on 42 l 44r.

I'll see you there cluscher!

I wanted to add this recommendation from Hoosier tire in case some have not seen. I wonder why they don't mention adding more psi to the outer tire. Maybe because it could be left or right side?
http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/bankedovalroad.pdf

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
its always hard to read intent online. hoosier recommended greater psi right side to left last weekend. we had a hoosier rep there for the class that runs hoosier as a spec tire.

cluscher

Established Member
isrboss, cya there. I'll be hanging out with Van and most likely working the chute quite a bit. Daytona isn't really harder or easier than a more traditional road course, it's just plain different in just about every way so it takes a while to get used to. By Sunday you'll be feeling it! Also, kind of a general rule to start out is to run recommended tire pressure cold and then a couple pounds more in the right rear. I'd start with 35lbs lf/r, 36 lbs rf, 38 lbs rr.

TXPD, I got mad envy for you. I so wish I could race. Even a Spec Miata would probably be outside my budget, and forget about the time needed. Being a racer some day is definitely on my bucket list. Seems like you're kind of living the dream....kudos to you.

Last edited:

isrboss

Established Member
isrboss, cya there. I'll be hanging out with Van and most likely working the chute quite a bit. Daytona isn't really harder or easier than a more traditional road course, it's just plain different in just about every way so it takes a while to get used to. By Sunday you'll be feeling it! Also, kind of a general rule to start out is to run recommended tire pressure cold and then a couple pounds more in the right rear. I'd start with 35lbs lf/r, 36 lbs rf, 38 lbs rr.

TXPD, I got mad envy for you. I so wish I could race. Even a Spec Miata would probably be outside my budget, and forget about the time needed. Being a racer some day is definitely on my bucket list. Seems like you're kind of living the dream....kudos to you.

I will only be there Fri, I wasn't going to do anymore track days this year, but I couldn't pass up Daytona. Thanks for the tire psi recommendations, I adjusted my cold settings some.

Will the rr and rf have a greater psi gain hot than the left tires? I was originally going to set the rr 1.5 psi higher, expecting maybe a 1 psi greater hot gain. Does that make sense?

cluscher

Established Member
I will only be there Fri, I wasn't going to do anymore track days this year, but I couldn't pass up Daytona. Thanks for the tire psi recommendations, I adjusted my cold settings some.

Will the rr and rf have a greater psi gain hot than the left tires? I was originally going to set the rr 1.5 psi higher, expecting maybe a 1 psi greater hot gain. Does that make sense?

On a GT500 the tire temps stayed relatively consistent as temps rose from where they started, so I didn't experience the RR getting a ton hotter than the rest. The RR definitely takes the brunt of downforce in the banking, and when tires go down it is the right rear. I would go with the pressures I suggested for your first session and then tweak from there. You will get a good idea how the tires will react, but on your first session you won't be balls to the wall either. A pound more or less in the first session where you're getting a feel for things won't make much difference. Also, suspension set up/tire type will play into the variation of temps on all corners.

What car will you be in....I'll look for you. I will most likely be at the chute checking bands as guys go on track.

isrboss

Established Member
On a GT500 the tire temps stayed relatively consistent as temps rose from where they started, so I didn't experience the RR getting a ton hotter than the rest. The RR definitely takes the brunt of downforce in the banking, and when tires go down it is the right rear. I would go with the pressures I suggested for your first session and then tweak from there. You will get a good idea how the tires will react, but on your first session you won't be balls to the wall either. A pound more or less in the first session where you're getting a feel for things won't make much difference. Also, suspension set up/tire type will play into the variation of temps on all corners.

What car will you be in....I'll look for you. I will most likely be at the chute checking bands as guys go on track.

I'm going to start with the psi settings you suggested, i'll be in my '13 pw Boss.
rgs_1988.jpg

I look forward to seeing you there, maybe we can get some of us together and hit the Wing House after.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member

funny. ive heard the "living the dream" thing so often that today this week I started to tag all my fb, instagram and tweets with #livingthedream.
Instagram
https://twitter.com/rbi16
https://www.facebook.com/rbi16

I am living the dream. In 1999 and again in 2004 I nearly died of congestive heart failure. I nearly needed a heart transplant. Enough so that I still have a transplant doctor. It killed a 25 year commercial radio career as a program director and morning show personality.

I am a rare case of improvement and now I am a professional motorsports photographer ( rob-bodle.com/ ) and I am racing Trans Am.

I can only race with sponsor funding and as hard as that is to find, I have one and its one that is just wonderful in every way. Lets say that I am really lucky.

You are invited to hit those social media.

I am as regular a guy as there is here if you subtract the heart thing. I am not rich and cant afford to race but find a way. I am not wildly talented but I learn and find a way to keep up. I am probably no better or more talented than any of you.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member

I would be more careful with that right front than that. I am just sayin'. Do you have someone coming with you that can give you tire data? I would go out and put two laps on the tires and hit the pit lane and check them.

That right front is the doomsday tire. If you blow that at Daytona its curtains. This is what the owners and most experienced drivers in the Trans Am series told us prior to our first laps at Daytona. We did experience some increased wear to the left rear with our right front psi selections and made an adjustment, but its best to start higher on the right front and check it early.

isrboss

Established Member
I would be more careful with that right front than that. I am just sayin'. Do you have someone coming with you that can give you tire data? I would go out and put two laps on the tires and hit the pit lane and check them.

That right front is the doomsday tire. If you blow that at Daytona its curtains. This is what the owners and most experienced drivers in the Trans Am series told us prior to our first laps at Daytona. We did experience some increased wear to the left rear with our right front psi selections and made an adjustment, but its best to start higher on the right front and check it early.

I hear you, I am going to run the rf at 37 and rr at 37.5 cold, 35 l side. That should have my right side close to 47 hot, I usually see a 9.5psi gain when hot. I will be doing my own pressures, and I will have my ir temp gun. Will I still be going by the standard if the middle of the tire is +10 to lower psi, even if it is a right side tire?

Example

lf 150 156 160 rf 177 189 170

lr 148 150 153 rr 167 179 162

Would I still lower right side psi to lower center temps?

Users who are viewing this thread