tranny will not go into 2nd

markcass123

Established Member
Hey guys I own a 03 cobra with 30k miles, mild mods and a ram clutch. So my cobras been sitting around in the garage for a while and I went to go take it out for a drive. I get it in first and go to 2nd and it will not hold 2nd and the gears are just grinding. I was able to shift it into 3rd and 4th and reverse works. I tried 2nd a few more times and still no good. I purchased this car with around 20k miles and ive never changed the tranny fluid. What kind of troubleshooting could I try here?

Thanks - mark

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
I was having the same issues. stage 3 ram clutch. Just put the steeda cable kit in with the adjustable quadurand in. seems to have helped a lot.

markcass123

Established Member
i only have a stage 2 ram clutch... its been installed for roughly a year with no problems with about 4-5k miles put on it..... cud it be a synchro or something? I was the last one to drive the car and it drove fine till i parked it in the garage and the next time it just will not go into 2nd

skratpiece

Established Member
Probably just not disengaging entirely. If your T56 was known to be good when last driven, then I would suspect you might just have to give the clutch a little action to break it back in. Extremely likely that your cable may have came out of adjustment or stretched. With a stock quadrant, there is a way to readjust the cable. You need to look into this on here (SVTP...). Extremely easy when you get used to it. Little hint. Get under the dash for starters. You basically depress the clutch with your left hand as hard as possible, and grab the large white plastic quadrant with your right hand. As you release the clutch pedal and allow it to return to rest, hold the quadrant in it's same positon. Do not let it move. It will basically ratchet itself backwards skipping a couple teeth and putting more tension on the cable. You probably have too much slack in the cable, and it's not completely disengaging the clutch therefore causing difficult shifts. Buy an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster. OEM cables are the best. BTW... IF you change fluids, the consensus is Pennzoil Synchromesh for $6.99 a quart at Autozone is the best fluid for the Cobra T56. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread