Tranny problems?

PrinceSlik

Established Member
This kid at a ford dealership said that all the cobra's have tranny problems and handle like shit?

what's up w/ this?

PrinceSlik

Established Member
I never heard of ne thing wrong so I was wonderin wtf he was talkin about....lol wonder if he still works there....trash talkin their cars... pffff

Vinnie T

Established Member
As far as handling goes, I'll join in with the rest to conclude this guy was a moron. Probably an F-body owner.
As far as the tranny, a few have posted here and on other forums regarding some breakage. I once heard them referred to as "trainwrecks" as opposed to Tremec's. Of course, drag racing was usually involved. If that's the case, you have to expect some breakage once in a while after dropping the clutch a bunch of times at 4-5K on the tach. And, you really don't know what kind of shifters these folks are either. For general street use, I don't think there is much to worry about. One suggestion from the tranny guy at the dealership was to let the synchros work and don't speedshift and jamb it into gear before it's ready. Not always possible at the track though.
My issue with the tranny is reverse. Mine gets stuck in reverse every so often, and the only way to get it out it to continue rolling backwards and force it out of gear. Seems to happen most often when the car is put into reverse when it is on an incline.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
heh-mine don't like to go in reverse-sometimes ya gotta move it around through the gears to get it to go in-other times a little more force is required and I have to "tap" it into gear.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I had shifting problems on my cobra. really difficult to shift gears, grinds 1-2 and 2-3 when its cold. I took it to the dealer and all they did was to change the tranny fluid (with crappy motorcraft stuff) didn't help one bit.
I recently changed the fluid myself to the Redline D-4 ATF. and all the problems went away. Shift nice and smooth now even when cold.
SO... if you guys havent done it yet change your tranny fluid ASAP!!!.. you'll prob pick up a couple of hp too over the factory fluid.

Last edited:

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
heh-mine don't like to go in reverse-sometimes ya gotta move it around through the gears to get it to go in-other times a little more force is required and I have to "tap" it into gear.

That isn't unusual since there are no syncros for reverse. I don't mind that so much, but not being able to get outta reverse can be a little unnerving when you aren't expecting it.

Vinnie T

Established Member
Originally posted by Serpentor
I had shifting problems on my cobra. really difficult to shift gears, grinds 1-2 and 2-3 when its cold. I took it to the dealer and all they did was to change the tranny fluid (with crappy motorcraft stuff) didn't help one bit.
I recently changed the fluid myself to the Redline D-4 ATF. and all the problems went away. Shift nice and smooth now even when cold.
SO... if you guys havent done it yet change your tranny fluid ASAP!!!.. you'll prob pick up a couple of hp too over the factory fluid.

There are a lot of opinions on these forums about the best lubes for the different parts. But like your experience, I've always had supurb results with Redline fluids. I'm currently running the GM Synchro fluid since I wanted to try it from all of the glowing recommendations I've heard that it is best for the Tremec's. However, I'll be swtiching back to Redline D-4 at the next change. The GM fluid is better than OE Mercon, but the Redline provides even better shifter and synchro action. I'd recommend either the Redline or GM as a nice upgrade to the OE fluid though.
Another thing is changing the fluid every so often anyway. My T-45 drain plug has no magnet (why Tremec?), and any metal particles from break-in and normal wear just sit in the fluid. Even if you go with a stock Mercon fluid, at least change out the original fill in your trannys to get all of the break-in crap outta there.

Users who are viewing this thread