tranny problems??

Steeltwo

Established Member
so I might be in the market for a svt foci.

and i've heard of alot of clutch and tranny replacements on the focus fanatics board.

how many of you kids have had problems?
and how hard do you drive it?

thx

Primaris

Established Member
I'm going to give you my standard SVTF disclamer here:

The SVTF's strong suit is NOT the 1/4mi. mostly because the SVTF is the heaviest Focus out there and has a very tall first gear. It tears up road courses and is a strong autocrosser though. So if you are looking for a straight line car you may want to look at a stripped 2.3 duratech zx3.

snakeyes

Established Member
Steeltwo said:
so I might be in the market for a svt foci.

and i've heard of alot of clutch and tranny replacements on the focus fanatics board.

how many of you kids have had problems?
and how hard do you drive it?

thx

Do you have a car already picked out? I will be getting rid of my 03 3 door in a month or 2. It is Black with European appearance package and has 21k miles all stock. I would be looking to get $12500 out of it. It has already had the clutch replaced by Ford for the issues you mentioned.

Thanks.

slbkbullet

Established Member
I drive the piss out of mine, um like I stole it. Yes new tranny at 46,000 oh and new clutch at 23,000, result of svtf not being a good drag racing car so great autocrosser, not great drag car, get the 2.3 w5spd if your looking for a strait line runner other wise I love mine just not enough power :beer:

Steeltwo

Established Member
Primaris said:
I'm going to give you my standard SVTF disclamer here:

The SVTF's strong suit is NOT the 1/4mi. mostly because the SVTF is the heaviest Focus out there and has a very tall first gear. It tears up road courses and is a strong autocrosser though. So if you are looking for a straight line car you may want to look at a stripped 2.3 duratech zx3.

no offense, but if I wanted a straightline car, a focus wouldn't be my pick. While they can be made powerful, front wheel drive, and 300whp would be useless on the streets until 3rd gear, and possibly even 4th. Not to mention the amount of overbuilding i'd have to do on the rest of the car to handle the power.

i have a svt tour, I already know what a autox car is all about and know how crappy drag racing a WWD car can be..

my dsm is my speed machine, and it does outhandle my tour.
I'm looking for a car that I can autox and use as a DD. The svt foci's are a steal for the performance, just like the svt tour. But the damn cargo space on the tour is crappy with no backseat fold down and no traction control(big plus in wiscowsin. :)

Steeltwo

Established Member
snakeyes said:
Do you have a car already picked out? I will be getting rid of my 03 3 door in a month or 2. It is Black with European appearance package and has 21k miles all stock. I would be looking to get $12500 out of it. It has already had the clutch replaced by Ford for the issues you mentioned.

Thanks.
you are quite a distance away. And I only want to dump 10-10.5 on one. There are a few in that range here.

thx though :)

snakeyes

Established Member
Steeltwo said:
you are quite a distance away. And I only want to dump 10-10.5 on one. There are a few in that range here.

thx though :)

I understand. It was worth a try. Although there were less than 100 Black 3 doors with the Euro package so maybe not as many around as you may think.

Good luck.

Steeltwo

Established Member
snakeyes said:
I understand. It was worth a try. Although there were less than 100 Black 3 doors with the Euro package so maybe not as many around as you may think.

Good luck.
there are two of those around here actaully. i was surprised too in the land of SUV's.

but the only svt foci that I do not want is a red one. So i'm pretty open.

i'll remember this post though incase I change my mind about the $ and location. I know paying more for a well maintained product is well worth the future headaches of a poorly maintained one.

Users who are viewing this thread