tranny problems...

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
Well on Saturday I raced my wifes cousins chevy w/ a 454.... Well I beat him but..... The next day my truck starts making these noises when shifting out of first gear... It sounds like slipping, and grinding... I most definately think it's my transmision... What do you guys think? How much do you guys think it will cost me? What is it that probably went wrong?... Any help or input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx. :(

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
chuchomula said:
Stock from what I know. Other than a K&N filter. Can't I just rebuild it?

Yes, it can def. be rebuilt. Call trans shops near you. Prices vary radically.
I would also check with the BBB after you pick a shop before you take your L to them.

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
My trans on my 00 went out 2 days after buying it, lost all forward gears. But i have an extanded warranty from ford so they replaced it for free...i think the invoice said like 3500...around that, i will check and let you know.

Swing

lovestolaunch
Established Member
i recall my buddy with a red 2000 lightning having tranny problems. He ended up trading in for a black 04, you think its a coincidence or a bad year?

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
Wouldn't surprise me... everyone always complains about the 00' L... but hey stuff happens... I guess my rims will have to wait. I'm going to call around tomorrow. I should tell them it's a Lightning right, or is there no difference from a regular F150 tranny... That was probably a stupid question, but I still don't know a lot about these trucks... Wish me luck everyone. I'll keep you guys posted.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
chuchomula said:
Wouldn't surprise me... everyone always complains about the 00' L... but hey stuff happens... I guess my rims will have to wait. I'm going to call around tomorrow. I should tell them it's a Lightning right, or is there no difference from a regular F150 tranny... That was probably a stupid question, but I still don't know a lot about these trucks... Wish me luck everyone. I'll keep you guys posted.
Your transmission is a 4R100 not the same as a f150 trans.
You can order the Factory tech Monster in a box Transmission rebuild kit from Gregg Evans to rebuild your 4R100. This is a Super upgrade for your 4R100 and do it yourself or have a transmission shop put it together for you for $1,150. Here is the link http://www.chickenears.com/trans_rebuild_kit.htm

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
Thanks a lot scuba-matt... I think that's the way I'm going... My dads friend rebuilds trannys at his shop... $1,150.00 seems ok compared to 3k... Thanks for the link.

chuchomula

"Rehab'd Ricer"
Established Member
This would be a good time to install a shift kit... any brands I should consider? There is one in the link that scuba-matt gave me... Which one is the best option?

Users who are viewing this thread