Tranny notchy

throop210

Established Member
I have searched and the only problem i can find people having is shifting at high rpm. I however never have a problem shifting high rpm. My problem is when the car is being shifted normal at around 2k rpm. Its not a grind but really notchy almost to the point of grinding. Every gear does it but 1st to 2nd is the worst. I have an MGW shifter with fiore clutch cable and quadrant and i have tried royal purple fluid, gm syncromesh and fresh factory stuff and nothing improves it at all. My question is if there are any TSB's for the tranny on my car. Im taking into the shop this weekend to have it looked at for the 2nd time, last shop i took it to told me that with a close gear ratio tranny like mine that my gears would never be smooth. I think they just didnt want to work on it. So i need to have something to show this new dealership what im talking about. I have the TSB 04-13-4 about the release bearing tube. Thx

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Sorry bro. But it sounds like everything is normal to me. My 03 with the mgw (orange handle) acting the same way along with many others. 1st to 2nd when the car is cold is very notchy then smooths up when the car is warmed up. im almost 100 percent sure that your car is fine. The stock shifter was much smoother but the throws sucked. Try a diff shifter, i think the mgw is a litlle notchy

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Mine was the same way. I just replaced the clutch with a spec-III, steeda quadrent, firewall adjuster, cable and a steel TOB tube from Astro Performance in Florida (1-866-253-0019).

When we took the tranny out the stock TOB tube was busted off and the TOB was stuck inside. I could not be any happier with my new setup. I only have 50 miles on it, but I can sure tell the difference already.

The stock quadrent is plastic and is a POS. This was the best mod next to my tune that I have done to my car.

VPF

hurtindude

Banned
have steeda firewall adjuster and adjustable cable. Royal purple in the tranny and MGW shifter... mine does the exact same thing... sounds normal to me to bro... i notice mine is smoother when she is warm, but its still notchy at low rpm shifts, but is smooth as butter above 3000 rpms when i shift... everyone i have talked too all say this is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread