Tranny locked up in 4th... any suggestions

Vette Eater

Established Member
Dyno'd my car yesterday and on the last pull it won't come out of 4th. I popped the shifter real hard and it came out. I drove it down the road and it ran great till I came to a stop. Then it was stuck in first. Got it out of first and made the return back. When I was coming to a stop it got stuck in 4th again and now it won't come out at all. Clutch works perfectly so i know it's not that... any suggestions?

vipergts281

Established Member
Your synchros most likely went.

I was driving in 5th one time and it popped into neutral and wouldn't go back in gear. The synchros were shot.

mr.magic

Established Member
Damn man that sucks! Let me know if you need any help swapping it out.
Side note what clutch are you using and when was it swapped last as I had a similar prob on a different car but it was the clutch fingers and pressure plate not the tranny. If I were you I would pull the clutch and check your clearances at different levels of compression. Also check your flywheel for symmetry.

Vette Eater

Established Member
Damn man that sucks! Let me know if you need any help swapping it out.
Side note what clutch are you using and when was it swapped last as I had a similar prob on a different car but it was the clutch fingers and pressure plate not the tranny. If I were you I would pull the clutch and check your clearances at different levels of compression. Also check your flywheel for symmetry.
Clutch is perfect, its a Mccloud and has been in the car for about 2 years, getting it out is easy, got a tranny jack
Your synchros most likely went.

I was driving in 5th one time and it popped into neutral and wouldn't go back in gear. The synchros were shot.
Syncros aren't the problem, it wouldn't be stuck in gear with the car off if it were the syncros

+1 sounds like you possibly bent some shift forks.
I'm thinking the same, but why would you think the tranny is shot? can shift forks not be replaced?

mr.magic

Established Member
Deff agree on the clutch ok and forks being bent as I didn't think about it being stuck while not running. Oops

"The linkage is all twisted!" "Just get me the high gear!" - Days of Thunder

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I'm thinking the same, but why would you think the tranny is shot? can shift forks not be replaced?

Yeah, shift forks can be replaced, but the tranny obviously needs to be pulled in order to do it, so the tranny is done in that sense. Unless you like driving around in one gear. If some parts broke off they may have caused collateral damage when you drove it (hopefully that isn't the case) but I'm sure it can be fixed by a competent repair shop.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
I was actually being serious though, i had a cheap ass adjustable clutch cable and it binded up on me and if i pushed the clutch in as to shift from 1st to second gear, it would not come out of first. Idk just suggesting

M4_ELITE

Established Member
i had my 3/4 syncros go. it wouldnt get out of gear easily while the car was on or off. rebuilt with upgraded syncros, steel 3/4 shift fork and more...

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Its not your synchros, its more than likely not your 3/4 fork. Its the stamped steel inserts that break. The replacements are billet and will last forever. My transmission did the same exact thing last month. Here is what you need-

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=73cPath=110_103_119

they are not terrible to replace. If your inclined enough to tear into your tranmission, this will be an easy job.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
^^The link you posted are for keys, thoes keys are for the syncro. Why do you say it's not a syncro and then post up parts for a syncro...? That does not add up. Have any of you taken your t-56 apart? Ill bet you money nothing is bent. Your not going to bend a shift fork in a t-56 unless your doing something way wrong. I would say something is wrong with the 3/4 syncro. Guys have problems with the car getting stuck in 4th 1:1 when something went fubar in 3/4.

Vette Eater

Established Member
thank you all for your input, I'm about to head downstairs and start tinkering. Before I pull the tranny I'm going to pull the shifter and see if something isn't screwed up there first. If I can't find anything there, which I doubt, then I'l pull the tranny. I've done it a ton of times on my friends car, 7 clutches in 6 months, it shouldn't take me too long. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is later this afternoon...thanks again for everyone's suggestions

Vette Eater

Established Member
ok, pulled the tranny a little while ago and got it to the shop and torn down. 2 of the inserts on 3/4 shaft were broken and laying in the case. The third one was bent a little. Getting new inserts and getting it back together on wed.

thanks for everyones input

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I win. Told ya syncros in 3/4 :banana:. Glad you got it out. Now get keys in 1-4, bronze shift pads 1-4, bronze shift bushing, tob sleeve, 26 spline, and shift the shit out of it.

Last edited:

Vette Eater

Established Member
I win. Told ya syncros in 3/4 :banana:. Glad you got it out. No get keys in 1-4, bronze shift pads 1-4, bronze shift bushing, tob sleeve, 26 spline, and shift the shit out of it.

The tranny already has all that, the billet keys broke. Im just going to replace what broke. I was dumbfounded that they were broke, blew my Fn mind

Tims97SVT

Established Member
WOW! Yea that's not good they were billet keys and broke. What brand were they if you don't mind me asking?

Vette Eater

Established Member
I called the guy I got the car from and told me the parts were from DD. It's been a few years since it was rebuilt... but whatev, It's not expensive and the tranny was cake to get out

Users who are viewing this thread