Tranny Leak?

halflife

Established Member
My power steering was a little low so i jacked up the car and there was a little drip of fluid around the rack, right by the thin pipe that runs straight across and a little bit on the pump where one of the hard lines connect on the bottom. so to try and figure out exactly where is was coming from i cleaned everything up good. added fluid and took it for a drive. pull in my driveway and put some cardboard under the car by the rack and ps pump. come back out 10 minutes later and there is fuggin red fluid on my pavers! about half way back on the car. look under and there is some fluid drips off the front area of my sub frame connector on the drivers side. my car is lowered and i am fat so it is hard to get under the car, just looking for some advice on what areas i should check before i butter myself up to fit under the car.
thanks

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
If you were low on power steering fluid then you have answered your own question. It doesn't evaporate and it's not like brake fluid that goes down as the pads wear. There aren't many places that the T56 is likely to leak except the tailshaft seal or input shaft seal. This can be confirmed by removing the clutch inspection cover and verify that it's dry and look at the area just above the tailshaft to see if any fluid has been flinging out. When you drive and your power steering leaks it will fling back under your cars chassis.

halflife

Established Member
ok got under there. it is not my rack leaking. well maybe a very slight leak but the puddle in no way possible is from the rack, the leak in the rack is at th very bottom and there is fluid much higher and no fluid between that leak and where it is coming from. there was fluid coming from the drivers side wheel well and running down to the subframe connectors. there was also a drop on the very top of the steering shaft. From the top i could not tell exactly but looking down on the drivers side by the brake resevior. there is a little block that power steering lines go into, not sure what it is called but the thing behind the brake resevior it called the brake booster has the lines going into it. under it basically on top of the wheel well there is a bunch of gunk built up. I am gonna pull the wheel well out tomorrow night to get a better look but i think it has to be leaking from that block or the booster??
DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg
DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0365.jpg
    DSC_0365.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0369.jpg
    DSC_0369.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0371.jpg
    DSC_0371.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0372.jpg
    DSC_0372.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0374.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
you can try taking that line off wipe off the threads, install a new teflon seal if you want, and tightning it back up. i doubt the line or block is cracked but you never know. take the line off and look. it might have just loosened up.

Users who are viewing this thread