Tranny Issue

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
OK so for the last few months my T.O.B. has been squealing. It is getting worse and worse. Also now my car does not wnat to go into second gear. I just had the tranny rebuilt in November. I have a Centerforce DF clutch and Centerforce T.O.B. I am going to replace the bearing w/ a ford O.E.M. one.

My question is can a T.O.B. cause my second gear issue. It goes in fine at slow rpm speeds and at high speeds it is like hitting a wall, no grinding at all. I have an aftermarket FWA already.

I am trying to figure out if I have my warranty company cover it incase the tranny is messed up and if the tranny is fine I fit the bill or I drop the tranny myself and change the T.O.B. and I will be good as new. sorry so long.
Thoughts?

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the bearing is bad enough then it could cause the clutch not to disengage completely and that would cause hard shifting.

Droc176

Established Member
back when i had my spec clutch installed with a spec TOB, it started squeaking worse and worse and one day it just busted and went all over, replaced it with a ford tob and its fine now just squeaks a little bit. Rarely do I see a mustang that does not have a squeaky TOB on the street or in the shop

99cruisin

Established Member
All over the world, now in Marin County, CA
I had the same problem lastnight. My car has been sitting around for a while since I've been out of the country so I took it out on the freeway to clear out the cobwebs. Shifted into 3rd at only about 5500 RPM's and it wouldn't want to go in. Also have slight resistance going into reverse sometimes and into first I have to feather it. When I did the clutch last year with a friend I didn't know about using the ford oem TOB.
Wish I had known...

zPipes

Established Member
You know I have heard the same thing from alot of people, about mustangs and squeaky tobs. Now, since we all know its an issue lol, anyone have an idea on how we can fix it?

You know if you just barely tap the clutch petal it goes away.. would it be ok to just adjust the clutch cable barely enough so that it stops?

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
i have the exact same issue and was diagnosed as maybe a transmission problem... i wonder if it could be my TOB?

OP, do your other gears have problems as well or just second?

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
You know I have heard the same thing from alot of people, about mustangs and squeaky tobs. Now, since we all know its an issue lol, anyone have an idea on how we can fix it?

You know if you just barely tap the clutch petal it goes away.. would it be ok to just adjust the clutch cable barely enough so that it stops?

I adjusted my clutch cable so that the squeal was barely noticeable but, then the clutch does not engage properly.

zPipes

Established Member
i have heard that adjusting the cable to reduce the squeak is not exactly the most proper way to solve the issue, and invites other problems to arise. not sure if i should go for it or not

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
i have the exact same issue and was diagnosed as maybe a transmission problem... i wonder if it could be my TOB?

OP, do your other gears have problems as well or just second?

I am only having issues w/ second gear. Also, it is only at high RPM shifts.
I read that w/ some of the fluids they foam up and cause the synchros to spin at a slower rate then they would normally. (not sure how true that is) If you have a different type of fluid or an additive that may be your issue. My tranny is pretty much new so I can't see that being my culprit. :shrug:

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I am only having issues w/ second gear. Also, it is only at high RPM shifts.
I read that w/ some of the fluids they foam up and cause the synchros to spin at a slower rate then they would normally. (not sure how true that is) If you have a different type of fluid or an additive that may be your issue. My tranny is pretty much new so I can't see that being my culprit. :shrug:

yeah my issue is only second gear as well, but i cant get it into gear at any rpm... basically the trans will grind and throw the shifter back into neutral... i recently had my trans flushed and we refilled it with royal purple because i developed a leak at the rear seal...

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
yeah my issue is only second gear as well, but i cant get it into gear at any rpm... basically the trans will grind and throw the shifter back into neutral... i recently had my trans flushed and we refilled it with royal purple because i developed a leak at the rear seal...

That sounds like a Synchro issue.

OP your quadrant may be flexing at higher RPM. You said you had an aftermarket FWA but if you didnt do the quadrant, well that sure as hell isnt helping.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member

Absolutely not. What causes most throw out bearing failures is people letting their foot rest on the clutch pedal and putting a slight, but constant pressure on the t/o bearing. Doing what you suggest will just make the t/o bearing fail quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread