Tranny is Leaking Fluid, Mechanics COME IN!

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
It's a beautiful day out, and I was doing some spirited driving in the Stang. From a stop light I floored first, and as soon as I banged second a bunch of smoke was trailing from the rear of my car. I pulled over and there was red fluid dripping onto my exhaust and smoking. From what I can see in the Haynes manual, it looks to be the extension housing seal? I have a credit card with the local Firestone shop, and that is the ONLY option I have to fix this because I'm flat broke.

I'm nervous they might try to rip me off and say they have to drop the tranny. If it's the extension housing seal, it can be done without dropping the tranny and I know it. Is there any way for me to make sure that it's the housing seal without having to delve too far into anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have to bring my car into Firestone tommorow morning and I really don't want them to rip me off.

kfrg

Banned
It's probably an ATF cooler line. Usually it's just a nut you can tighten, take a look.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Drop the DS, pull the old seal out, get the new seal (~$10), get a socket or piece of pipe the same diameter as the outer part of the seal, drive the new seal in with that, lube it up and put the DS back in.
No need to drop the tranny and jack the car up in the rear so no fluid leaks up.
2hr job max if you've never done it before.

INTRCPTR

Established Member
when does it leak

I guess the question i would ask is, does it leak when the cars sitting or only when its running. i had mine leak after i filled with too much fluid, but only came out when its running. of course my seal wasnt bad, so yours could leak all the time if its really torn up. otherwise it could be a gasket on the tail or plug loose? you might wanna get under there and try to pinpoint the spot.
hope you get it figured out.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Right now it's not leaking at all while it's running or not, but I think that's because there's no fluid left. When I hit second, the smoke cloud was insane, so it had to of pissed out quite a bit of fluid onto my h-pipe.

I dropped my car off this morning and told them that I think it's the housing seal.. This place has done right by me in the past, but I'm still a bit nervous. The last thing I need is to get a phone call telling me that they have to drop my tranny. From what I've been reading, and what I saw under my car, there isn't much else it could be other than the housing seal. I do have a throwout bearing going bad, but that's located at the front of the tranny and not where this leak is.

Users who are viewing this thread