Tranny Install, Help please.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Having the most trouble reinstalling the t45, any tips?
Every time I try to install straight up, the trans tunnel necks pushing the input shaft into the pressure plate fingers. Tried with the tail angled down and that doesn't seem to help either.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
did you use an alinement pin?

also if you did a bunch of messing around trying to get it in, chances are you messed up the pilot bearing.

best way is to, use an alinement tool, angle the motor back, grab a couple people to help you, and once you got it pretty much in, shake it while pusing it in further. then use the bolts to pull it all the way in.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Like no slow svt said, you have to make sure the clutch disc is perfectly centered. If you used an alignment tool, that should do it. Is your input shaft hitting the pressure plate fingers above the hole or below? Depending which one, you'll either have to tilt the motor back some more or adjust the angle of the tranny. A little thing I did to help me out was to get some string and tie up that stupid front O2 sensor bracket so it's out of the way. Then, after I got the side bolts in, I untied the string and put the top two bolts in through the bracket. Good luck!

Edit: I forgot to mention that if it won't go that last little bit, turning the output shaft a little can help align the splines.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
And make sure its in gear when you turn the output shaft, or you won't turn the input shaft while turning that output shaft, and thus it won't do you any good. :)

And unless you've done several times, highly recommend getting one or two friends to help!

BlackVenom99

Established Member
That's just it I left the clutch alone, just wanted to change out the noisy TOB. The shaft alignment keeps coming just below the center. Always jammed between the floor and not high enough to go into the pressure plate. I've removed and replaced transmissions on different cars over the past few years, first time on a mustang though.
I went to tilt the front of the motor up to bring the rear downward, and it raised an 1/8 or so of an inch then started lifting the car.

SVECobraR

Established Member
get an engine brace, then brace the engine and lower the k-member, about an inch to an inch and a half then it should go right in without hitting the tunnel, and with stock headers it will definitely slide right in.

mustangman36578

Established Member
did it 3 times myself on a garage floor lol. take and tilt the engine back as much as you can. if you loosen the motor mounts a litle bit then the motor will tilt back more. get 2 bolts that are the same thread as the tranny bolts (try and find some bolts that are a little longer) and cut the head of the bolt off and make a slit in the end for a flat head screw driver and thread the 2 make shift dowels into the side holes on the block one on each side and use those to help slide the transmission up onto the block.

CobraBen98

GO SPURS GO!
Established Member
I just took off and reinstalled my tranny for the second time last week. The first time I put it back in, I had no problems and it literally slid into place. However this last time, like you, for some reason there didn't seem to be enough room, even with the engine mounts loose and front of motor jacked up. It just takes some patience, some extra hands, and wiggle it in to place.

Users who are viewing this thread