Tranny input shaft

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Is a 26 spline upgrade only nesessary if you drag race?

I will be making around 600 hp to the wheels, but I will not be drag racing.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
So every one just puts it on there because someone told them to?

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
So every one just puts it on there because someone told them to?
LOL that is how this site works bro, welcome to Internet racing. I think many of the popular mods we do are overkill for the street.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
If you are not going to drive your Cobra hard, 600 RWHP or not, your risk of damaging your 10 spline input shaft will go down exponentially. If you drag race on the track or on the street, your risk factor increases.

With the way I drive on the street, I would not need to upgrade. But with the way I drive at the track.....well, I have a 26 spline.

black 10th vert

Established Member
If you are not going to drive your Cobra hard, 600 RWHP or not, your risk of damaging your 10 spline input shaft will go down exponentially. If you drag race on the track or on the street, your risk factor increases.

With the way I drive on the street, I would not need to upgrade. But with the way I drive at the track.....well, I have a 26 spline.

perfect explanation!;-)

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member

I agree. I also think if you are replacing your clutch and you have the transmission out it is worth it to do everything at once and then you don't have to worry about damaging the 10 spline. For all the money we spend on these cars if you are replacing the clutch you might as well upgrade to the 26 spline. Thats what I will be doing when I need a clutch. Just my opinion.

steve5575

Established Member
I agree. I also think if you are replacing your clutch and you have the transmission out it is worth it to do everything at once and then you don't have to worry about damaging the 10 spline. For all the money we spend on these cars if you are replacing the clutch you might as well upgrade to the 26 spline. Thats what I will be doing when I need a clutch. Just my opinion.

+1. Completely agree.

I've seen a sheared 10 spline shaft that came out of a Mach I. Yes, it was an idiot driver that liked to drop into 2nd going highway speeds or something really stupid like that. It is totally on how you drive your car. I have all the typical bolt ons with a 2.76 upper with my stock clutch with 66k miles. I drive my car pretty easy. But when comes to clutch time I will go ahead and replace it just because it will be accessible.

black 10th vert

Established Member
^ I forgot to mention that point in my earlier posting. I would definitely change it "just because I was in there" when doing a clutch swap, whether it needed it or not. Also it is an excellent time to add the upgraded steel throw out bearing sleeve too.;-)

Black Sex

Established Member
Mine broke on me on the street with 482rwhp with street tires. I was in second gear with the tires spinning. I was at about 5000rpm and next thing i knew there was a "pop" and it was banging off the rev limiter. Snapped off flush with TOB sleeve

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
okay, so I will throw another $400 on the fire

Users who are viewing this thread