Tranny Fluid Q

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Well I recently changed the trans fluid in the cobra but Im not happy with the results. I tried Pennzoil Synchromesh with a little bit of Lucas Trans fix based on the recommendation of other board members. Now it does shift much smother at low RPMS but not at all near red line. I literally cant pull it in to gear at high RPMs. I believe it is actually too slippery and not allowing the syncros to slow the gears down at high RPMs. In any event has anyone else had this problem and was it the trans fluid? I am guessing that it is so I will probably be trying new trans fluid and Im looking for recommendations. Please list what you have tried and your impressions good or bad.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I have been experiencing something very similar at high RPMs also ever since I changed out to Royal Purple .... Driving around town is OK, but when I go to open tracking events I have a real issue with my 2-3 and 3-2 shifts.

I have gooten many different opinions so far ... everythign from bad synchros to needing new fluid ....

I may try going back to standard OEM fluid and see if that helps.

Good luck.

RoyWoods

Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Well I recently changed the trans fluid in the cobra but Im not happy with the results. I tried Pennzoil Synchromesh with a little bit of Lucas Trans fix based on the recommendation of other board members. Now it does shift much smother at low RPMS but not at all near red line. I literally cant pull it in to gear at high RPMs. I believe it is actually too slippery and not allowing the syncros to slow the gears down at high RPMs. In any event has anyone else had this problem and was it the trans fluid? I am guessing that it is so I will probably be trying new trans fluid and Im looking for recommendations. Please list what you have tried and your impressions good or bad.

Get rid of the Lucas stuff. I've had friends who've added some of the Lucas products and ended up with nothing but problems.

FWIW, I'm running Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and am very happy with it. Mobil has been around a long time and knows their stuff.

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
me2

I have some Mobil 1 ATF in my garage, it's going in next week. I spent hours reading threads on this subject on both this site and stangnet. It seemed like Mobil 1 ATF was the best option for our cars (especially for the T45s.)

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Snake Eyes said:

If you think it's too slick have you considered adding a few ounces of Ford Friction Modifier? Just a thought . . .

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
WHY are you experimenting with anything?
The tranny worked fine before.
Put in the regular Dextron that is specd for the tranny before you ruin it.

-Tranny worked:
-You took out fluid that worked and put in something else:
-Tranny doesnt work now.

??? I fail to see where the mystery is.
You dont need to be a detective to figure this one out.

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
If you think it's too slick have you considered adding a few ounces of Ford Friction Modifier? Just a thought . . .

thats what I did. no problems for me.

the factory spec fluid sucks donkey ballz. sucks sucks sucks.:bash:
it may work for some people, but people wouldnt be looking for other options if it was "working fine"
edit... I have the 3650 btw, dont know about the T45

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
fill

When you filled it and switched trans fluids did you put a quart or two down to flush out the old stuff? When changing to a totally different kind of trans fluid I have heard you should dump a quart or two in with the drain plug out and flush the other brand out before putting the drain plug in and filling it up. You are not supposed to mix trans fluids. Also the fill amount is very specific. Do not overfill!!! Measure it carefully.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
yeah, DONT USE SYNCHROMESH!!!!!!!!! its formulated for metal synchros, not the fiber ones we have. i would suggest either regular ATF or mobil synth.

on a side note and not to whore the thread, what is the amount of fluid to put in a t-45? ive had autos before and i dont have the manual for my car.
thanks

Slowbra01

Established Member
same question as above ^^? How much fluid do we put in? I have a 3650. Since there is no dipstick... how do we know if we've filled enough?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Slowbra01 said:
same question as above ^^? How much fluid do we put in? I have a 3650. Since there is no dipstick... how do we know if we've filled enough?
3.1l or 3.25qts, you just have to measure it out. There's a Ford TSB that took the level from the factory level of 3.8l down to 3.1l when Ford began to realize the 3650 pretty much sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread