tranny failure today....need advice

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
When attempting to leave work this afternoon the tranny left me stranded. Right after I started the engine and let out the clutch (tranny in neutral) I was putting on my seat belt when the tranny started to go into gear. The car lurched and shut off. I restarted and with the clutch still in tried to put it in gear...no luck. It didn't want to go into any gear I tried...even reverse. I tried letting the clutch out while in neutral again and it immediately started to go into gear again...with very strange clunky noises coming from the tranny. I have no idea what would cause this. It has a stock clutch that's 1.5 years old (12k miles), Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster, and MGW shifter. I don't think any of these items are the cause, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on the cause or failure? Any previous experience with this type of issue? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
wild guess here but ive had a few issues myself so...

did you check the clutch cable? broken or possibly came really loose?

hopefully its not IN the transmission...:uh oh:

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
It didn't feel or appear loose from the engine compartment. Getting under the car was not an option for me at the time.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Do you beat on your car much?

And can you even shift into any of the gears?

No, I don't beat on it...mostly driven in heavy traffic. It only sees the track about twice a year. I wasn't able to get it into 1st, 2nd, or reverse. Don't recall trying any other gears before I got a ride home.

03SVTKB

Established Member
So you couldnt even get the shifter into the 1st 2nd or reverse gate?
Pretty much u were stuck in neutral?

If so, did it make a grinding noise when you tried forcing it into the gears? or when you forced it into the gears and made a grinding noise did you see the speedometer jump?

Last edited:

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
yes, when I tried to let the clutch out with the tranny in neutral it would make a grinding noise while attempting to go into gear..what gear I don't know since the shifter was in the neutral position. I say it was trying to go into gear because the car would start to move forward a little.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I had my throwout bearing sieze to the shaft and break it off at the transmision face,it acted just like what you described.

03SVTKB

Established Member
I went through what seems to be the same problem you are experiencing. Quite odd if you have the same problem tho. I was getting on mine from a stop when it happened, a LOUD bang!
What happened to me was i demolished the center sprung hub of my friction disk. So basically i blew my clutch.

My clutch was squealing when engaging from first for a few days before my incident happened.

Last edited:

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
My clutch wasn't making any noises prior to this issue. And I don't have a stock throwout bearing any more. Its a beefy billet aluminum piece...not sure who makes it.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
finally got this fixed and wanted to update eveyone...turns out it was a broken retaining clip on the gear set that damaged 6th gear. the broken piece was wedged in the gear set such that it was partially putting the car in gear, even when the shifter was in neutral. this wore out the clutch and damaged the flywheel as well. it really sucks how a 10 cent part can cause over $1k in damage. now it has a findanza flywheel and ram stage 2 clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread