Tranny Failure on fairly stock truck?

DSM Storm

Established Member
So I got my livewire in today. I flashed the truck to change the gear ratio to 4.10 from stock. Drove the truck home from the gym about a 10 minute ride and then I decided to get on the throttle. Truck starts pulling pretty hard then during a gear change it hits the rev limiter. I decided to reflash the truck back to stock. Tried going WOt again and during another gear change it hits the rev limiter. At this point i check the trans fluid, fluid is ok, the level is up to par and there is no burning smell. I put it in drive and the truck starts to slip, had to put it in (L) to take off. Anyone have any ideas why it would do this on a fairly stock truck with 50k on the clock? The previous owner changed the fluid often, and when i got the truck I also changed the fluid and added a moroso pan. Any help is appriciated. There are currently no DTC's stored in the trucks computer.

Mods listed below:

Full exhaust
2lb lower pulley
CAI
FTVB
4.10 gears

Storm :(

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Anything is possible. So even with the stock tune it still hit the rev limiter? Is it only doing that during gear changes? How's it feel otherwise??

Maybe Derek can chime in. his started slipping then slowly went to hell.

DSM Storm

Established Member
Yes, i used the livewire to go back to the stock tune and it hit the rev limiter during a gear change. Now it wont even move in drive, i have to take it out of overdrive in order to move from a standstill. If i put it in overdrive, it starts slipping again.

Storm

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Your tranny's done for bro. Im in the same boat you are. Its only going to get worse and worse. Start looking now for a tranny before you really cant drive it at all.

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
FleeMan said:
Your tranny's done for bro. Im in the same boat you are. Its only going to get worse and worse. Start looking now for a tranny before you really cant drive it at all.
Sorry for the hijack
Fleeman, did you find out what was wrong with your trans?

DSM Storm

Established Member
I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that i dont know why it happened. Is it becase of the FTVB? is it becase i changed the gear ratio and shift points in the livewire? If i only knew why it happened. I was so pissed yesterday that i was going to order up a junkyard tranny, slap it in and trade it in for an srt-10 sc ram. I love the truck though. Its gotta get fixed. Im thinking of ordering up a rebuild kit and having a local shop install it. /what kind of options are you looking at fleeman?

Storm

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
The way I see it is I only have 2 options.
1) A friend of mines, his dad, has been working on transmissions his whole life. And I trust that he will build me a badass tranny. Also really thinking hard about doing this, because when a lot of money is involved in business matters and something doesnt go right, thats how you lose friends.
2) Im more then likely though going to go with a BTS tranny. If im going to fix something, it will be done right the first time. It seems like a lot of money now, but compared to some other vendors, you cant beat BTS's customer service and their know-how and price with what is included in your purchase. Now i know it might seem like over-kill to buy their tranny, but I would rather pay for something done right the first time, then pay double 3 or 4 times during the life of the truck.

PM sent as well.

Last edited:

sounds good

Established Member
you can get a Jasper Monster Box kit for 1500 and take that to a builder, or try to tackle it yourself... thats the route i am going to go when iver i get an extra 1500

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I am all set with Jasper. If i do anything right now it would be a Level 10 i think. BTS is great but i cant afford 4 grand for a tranny

Users who are viewing this thread