Tranny Failure --> My fault?

DSM Storm

Established Member
As some of you might have read. My tranny failed on friday. Usually I would just deal and get a replacement but i do have some unrest. As of right now, im wondering if the failure is somethig that I have done. Basically I was running through the gears and on the 3-->4 gear change it made a loud bang and hit the rev limiter. I pulled over and reflashed back to stock. Problem was still there, then i lost 1st gear but only in overdrive, once i hit the overdrive button to take it out of OD it drives like normal. Basic mods are 4.10's, full exhaust and a 2lb lower.

The truck has 53K on it, previous owner took good care of it, and I flushed the trans fluid + torque converter with some valvoline dex 3 while also installing a FTVB and moroso trans pan. Since the valve body it has always shifted hard, especially on the 3-->4 gear change. I have a habbit of running it through the gears at least a few times a week. All has been well till friday when i got the livewire. I remember reading about people saying not to increase line pressure with a FTVB so I made sure not to modify that in the tune, I did however change the shift points another 2mph on some of the gears. I also lowered the rev limited from 6K to 5800rpm. My question is... did anything I do with the livewire cause this transmission to fail or shift incorrectly? I also read somewhere that the 2001 4r100 (white tag) has internal issues or something?

Any help is appriciated. Going to make a few calls and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,
Storm

IneritaSVT

Fuel Slut
Established Member
Snap ring came off OD clutches. Known problem, I did it to not as bad as you but bad enougth. When it was rebuild there was and update for that part. No problem since.

DSM Storm

Established Member
Thank you for the info Inerita, I did a global search and found a ton of info. It makes me feel better that the failure is a design flaw. At least now i know what to look for when looking at a rebuild kit.

Thanks,
Storm

Users who are viewing this thread