Tranny Cooler for Bridge

mustang462002

Slow GT
Established Member
Here in El Paso I cross over to Juarez Mexico a lot. I usually spend 1.2 hours in a line on the Bridge of the Americas. My transmission overheats half the time. I was thinking of putting in a transmission cooler. But I was concerned now that its winter wouldn't the transmission take longer to warm up on a very cold winter morning. What about highway driving isn't the transmission going to be too cool. Thanks for all your help.:read:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I've never heard of a manual tranny overheating, and if you are talking about an automatic tranny, you must be talking about your 02 GT, which puts you in the wrong section.

However, a standard oil cooler for your auto tranny should not cause any issues in the mild winters of the southern texas, but if it does, you can cover a portion of it with cardboard in the winter to get some heat into the fluids.

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Why not put either a manual switch so you can turn it on when ever you want or a temperature controlled one so it is automatic

01 Venom

Established Member
I've never heard of a manual tranny overheating, and if you are talking about an automatic tranny, you must be talking about your 02 GT, which puts you in the wrong section.

However, a standard oil cooler for your auto tranny should not cause any issues in the mild winters of the southern texas, but if it does, you can cover a portion of it with cardboard in the winter to get some heat into the fluids.

+1

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Why not put either a manual switch so you can turn it on when ever you want or a temperature controlled one so it is automatic

im not sure what you're referring to, but most tranny coolers are simply a radiator (or intercooler if you want) for tranny fluid. There typically aren't any fans or anything.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I agree with Quad. A typical aftermarket tranny cooler is a simple radiator style, not much different than the good power steering coolers. If you are wanting to fabricate a cooler that has a fan, you can wire up the fan to have a temperature triggered on switch. You can also plumb in some sort of thermostat to open up flow of fluid at a particular temp.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Long ago, I put an aftermarket oil cooler on my motorcycle that had an inline thermostat. I wonder if one of those would work? Not sure if tranny fluid vs. engine oil would wreak havoc on the guts though.

Users who are viewing this thread