Tranny and Insurance questions

DamageInc

Banned
Has anyone with a 2001, or for that matter a 1999 Cobra had any problems with the durability of their tranny's? I see in the new MMFF article that they blew 2nd gear after two launchs, I realize that they were purposely abusing the car too.

Another question, I know there is no general rate for insurance on these cars but how much is everyone paying? I'm 24 and have a fairly clean record with no violations in the past 3 years and only 2 no fault claims in the past 7 years.

firstbite

Kid Rock
Established Member
DamageInc- I had one soft launch last year from my driveway when the motor was cool, and the rear end went bye bye, when I say soft I mean soft (2000 RPM). Ford Motor replaced it immediately

sprayed46

Established Member
yes i have a 1000 miles on mine bone stock and is in the shop right know because of second gear. i also was expereincing excessive vibration.

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
BY a 500 dollar clunker car, and register it as your primary, and the cobra as your secondary car (thats if you're the only one driving)

then the cobra is usually 50% off

:)))

(but I never did this tho... so I pay about 3000 a year OUCH but I have ONE moving violation, an illegal left turn and I have Progressive)

Last edited:

quick99snake

Established Member
I'm 23, clean record, and I pay $768 every 6 mos. with $250 deductibles on both my comp and collision.
As far as the tranny, I'm sure that the yellow '01 that MMFF had was the same one that Car and Driver had, as well as any other car magazine that tested a '01 cobra, so I'm sure that car had been abused A LOT before they even got it.

2001LaserRed

Established Member
Oh man. I'm gonna buy a clunker to drive during the winter, and that would be awesome if my insurance actually went down!!! I'll let ya know if it does.

I think I'm paying about 1600/year for two new vehicles, and I did some research and I can get that down to about 1200/year. I carry 0$ deductible on everything except collision. So that's for a 2001 Cobra and a fully loaded (except entertainment center since we had one already) 2000 Windstar.

01Snake

Established Member
No tranny problems yet, nor any with the guys I know with Cobras. As far as your insurance goes, check with your agent first about registering a "beater" as the primary car. Here in Jersey (rates are the highest in the nation), State Farm uses the newest car as the primary vehicle, no matter how little you drive it. Your rates should drop a little when you pass the 25 year mark. For what its worth, I pay $745 every 6 months for three cars (01 Cobra, 94 Grand Am & 91 240) with top coverage and a $500 deductible. Understand though, I have been with State Farm for 12 years, am over 30 & have a clean history.

Established Member
My 2nd gear died on me last Saturday. Later that night, 4th gear died. Earlier that week, 3rd gear began to grind. No my car is at a dealership waiting on a new 3650 from Tremec. I almost never abused that tranny. Only took it to the track once for four non-power shifed runs.

Users who are viewing this thread