Tranmission rebuilt

maddmax1999

Established Member
So my car wouldnt go into reverse. I tried changing the oil. Checking the stops on the shifter. So I took my car to the shop. Turns out a couple of gears are bad and one of the forks. They told me the clutch was also pretty bad. So here is my question they quoted me around $2000. There going to rebuilt the trans and install a new clutch. Is this too much? They did all the work of pulling the trans out.

mack83

Established Member
wow. 2g to rebuild a manual t56? it's not like it's exactly rare. you should call tousley ford just for the fun of it to see what a new t56 costs. plus. if your going to be doing all this nonsense, get the 26 spline upgrade while everythings out and being redone anyways.

funtruck

I Hate Mustangs
Established Member
That's about right for rebuilding a manual tranny. They're more expensive than rebuilding automatics. I'm near Fresno also, sorry I dont' do tranny work.

maddmax1999

Established Member
No the gear for reverse was grinded to hell. I been looking on-line at parts and even though 2g's seems like alot. Its seems about right.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
thats a good price considering your getting a clutch as well. i rebuilt mine not too long ago and i paid cost price which was around 1800 dollars for a complete rebuild. the parts cost a bitch and labor is the icing to the cake. thats when its good to know people lol

maddmax1999

Established Member
I see you have a SPEC 2 clutch. How do you like it? That's the clutch I'm getting. What get's me PO is that the guy I got the car from more than likely knew the tranny was going out.

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
I see you have a SPEC 2 clutch. How do you like it? That's the clutch I'm getting. What get's me PO is that the guy I got the car from more than likely knew the tranny was going out.

I was in the same boat as you. When I got mine it had tranny issues and then I just finished it off. So I rebuilt it and changed out the clutch and flywheel too while i was in there. Before, it had a centerforce dual friction in it with the stock flywheel. The centerforce was so hard to push in, and no wonder because whoever installed that must have been blind; it was all nigged up. so i took it out along with the flywheel which was toasted and surfaced cracked. So then I ordered the SPEC stage 2 and steel flywheel. It is a pretty rough clutch, it tends to chatter a lot, but it grabs when you need it to. but it also only has 700-800 miles on it so I'm hoping it smooths out a little more. Overall I like it and I think its one of the best out there so you wont be disappointed. Most guys use them on here. Call rick at evolution and he'll tell you that's all they use is SPEC. If you go with SPEC, then get the flywheel too because it has the interchangeable face on them so you wont have to resurface it anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread