train horn legality?

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
how "legal" is it to purchase, install and use trainhorns on an automobile?

there are kits made for automobiles and i was browsing around about them and was maybe looking to buy a kit but i didnt want get myself into legal trouble.

obviously using them in a way that may cause people to have an accident would be bad.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Nothing says "the light's green" like 129 decibels...
crazy.gif

I can't answer your question for sure, but I'd be surprised if something in the New Jersey motor vehicle code didn't cover it.

--T.J.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You need to check the noise ordinance and the regulations on the allowable horn decibels in NJ.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
TJSwoboda said:
Nothing says "the light's green" like 129 decibels...
crazy.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Next time you race, say it'll be on the third honk. Hit it twice with the regular horn, and on the third hit the train horn. The other guy would freak.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
N.J.S.A.39:3-69. Horns and audible warning devices

Every motor vehicle except a motor-drawn vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation, give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

So thats basically at an officers discretion. Unreasonable can be determined differently by a variety of people.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
For the decibal output, I'd say the only "Legal" way to have one of these is to get a Red Light / Siren Permit. Then of course, you would need to be either a Chief, or Assistant Chief, of a Fire or Rescue Department.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
LostRacer said:
So thats basically at an officers discretion. Unreasonable can be determined differently by a variety of people.

Not actually, unreasonable is a legal term. It infers the "reasonable person standard." Which is determined by whether a reasonable person in the same situation would find similarly. As with any citation it is simply an allegation, so the officer's discretion is a non factor, as the person charged can either admit their complicity and plead guilty or plead not guilty and defend their actions. That is all secondary to a potential noise ordinance violation.

Users who are viewing this thread