Trailer hitch for 99-04 Cobra - options?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Got it installed! Go to page two for more info and pics.

Well, I'll probably be moving back across the country soon and this time I need to drive back and tow a small trailer with my stuff. From some of the reading I've done, there is a hitch out there that does work with the Cobra rear end, but pushes up against the 03/04 bumper on the bottom. I'd be ok with that since it would only be for a few days but before I order anything I want to make sure it will work. I know people have done it, but a lot of what I read were folks making their own, but I don't have the ability to do that. How much would a custom one cost from a shop?

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give, and if anyone happens to live in the Fayetteville, NC area, hands-on help for getting the trailer hooked up would be MUCH appreciated :D

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Rent a mid-sized U-Haul truck for your belongings and one of their double axle trailers for your Cobra. One way rental. Problem solved. You will be thankful doing it this way with the amount of headaches that you will be saved from.

images-11_zpsrya9etur.jpg

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Rent a mid-sized U-Haul truck for your belongings and one of their double axle trailers for your Cobra. One way rental. Problem solved. You will be thankful doing it this way with the amount of headaches that you will be saved from.

images-11_zpsrya9etur.jpg

That's the backup plan, but since I'd like to be able to bring tires to auto-x events, I don't mind doing the hitch but if I can't, this will be the way to go.

My question with that is how do I get the car on the trailer and then hook it up to the truck? Or does the trailer sit at the same level the whole time because of the dual axles? In case it wasn't obvious, my towing experience is very limited and my friend that knows everything about it is in California :p

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
That's the backup plan, but since I'd like to be able to bring tires to auto-x events, I don't mind doing the hitch but if I can't, this will be the way to go.

My question with that is how do I get the car on the trailer and then hook it up to the truck? Or does the trailer sit at the same level the whole time because of the dual axles? In case it wasn't obvious, my towing experience is very limited and my friend that knows everything about it is in California :p

The trailer has a set of pull out ramps so you can drive the car up on it AFTER the trailer is hooked to the truck. Then, just strap the car down at all four wheels with tire straps so the suspension can still absorb road shocks/bumps.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
It's as if thousands of cobra owner voices cried out and were suddenly silenced
-Ben Kenobi.
Seriously though, Uhaul with your whip in tow, don't put a doofy tow hook on it. Strapping it down is easy, and i'm sure there's a youtube video of it. If not... time to do some ol' fashioned learnin. Make sure you strap to hard points on the frame. Here's a good thread with some ideas.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Since you can benefit from the trailer hitch after you move, I would just get the trailer hitch and rent a small trailer.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If you get the u-haul [my first choice], do NOT load your car onto the trailer before hooking the trailer up to the truck. That is probably the worst thing you could do short of not strapping the car down. If you feel your car sits too low to get onto the trailer, just drive the back tires of the uhaul truck onto some blocks to help with clearance.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Since you can benefit from the trailer hitch after you move, I would just get the trailer hitch and rent a small trailer.

Right, this is what I was getting at since I will most definitely use it to haul my second set of stock Cobra wheels with Hoosiers, I'm only going to be towing something like 1500 pounds (and that includes the weight of the trailer), plus it would be nice to have it in case a situation came up in the future where I had to use it again.

This is the one I'm looking at using and since the next size up is irrelevant based on gross weight and the next size down is tiny, this would be it : http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=UV

Will a regular hitch work for a Cobra afterall? Has anyone had a custom Class 1 hitch made before and if so, whats a ballpark figure?

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Why can't you just put the wheels/tires in the back seat/trunk of your cobra?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Please take pics of the trailer hitched to the car, SVTP will die a little seeing that lol.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Cobra's have been known to reject trailer hitch implants. If it does take, the car will become infected and die shortly after.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
if a friggin Honda S2000 can pull a light weight trailer, I don't see why a Mustang can't do the same.. OP go for it..

normal_HONDAS2000photo02.jpg

Exactly - it might look wierd going down the freeway, but if its something I can use anyway, and would save me hundreds of dollars on the trip vs. renting the bigger truck and the trailer, along with the higher fuel costs, I'll do it. I have a friend that has a Miata and has towed a trailer of similar size and it looked hilarious because the trailer was the same size of the car (but taller) but it worked. Besides, these are Mustangs, not Maseratis :D

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Exactly - it might look wierd going down the freeway, but if its something I can use anyway, and would save me hundreds of dollars on the trip vs. renting the bigger truck and the trailer, along with the higher fuel costs, I'll do it. I have a friend that has a Miata and has towed a trailer of similar size and it looked hilarious because the trailer was the same size of the car (but taller) but it worked. Besides, these are Mustangs, not Maseratis :D

why can't you just put the wheels and tires in the car? the cost of installation alone might make the u-haul more feasible.

Blown 89

Established Member
Do a search on the 03/04 subsection. There are a few people that have hitches in there.

Don't mind the haters. This is SVTP where you can start a post asking who actually races vehicles and the sound of crickets is deafening. It's sad really.

Prototype007

Established Member
And I thought I had seen it all when I spotted a C4 Corvette pulling a riding mower on a trailer behind it lol!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
why can't you just put the wheels and tires in the car? the cost of installation alone might make the u-haul more feasible.

It wouldn't be a permanent situation since once the roll bar goes in I'll lose the real estate I had before, even with putting the top down. That and with the jack, tools, cooler, etc. there just isn't enough room unfortunately. I will however buy a trailer later on and keep it for this purpose (and if I need it for a diff project, moving again, friend needs it, etc.) but for now just to get back home to California, I'm renting this time. Plus if it breaks, I can get help at a U-Haul vs. having one I bought off CL failing on me in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the country (which knowing my luck is EXACTLY what would happen :D)

Do a search on the 03/04 subsection. There are a few people that have hitches in there.

Don't mind the haters. This is SVTP where you can start a post asking who actually races vehicles and the sound of crickets is deafening. It's sad really.

Yea its just getting to that point now where it makes sense to go ahead and get one, rather than trying to squeeze everything in the car (which isn't possible anymore anyway), and it would be handy for other stuff. I did find some threads in the 03/04 section via a google search, but I'll do a SVTP search and see what I can find, maybe contact some users if they have one. That said, if anyone has pics, or info, or both on their setup, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It wouldn't be a permanent situation since once the roll bar goes in I'll lose the real estate I had before, even with putting the top down. That and with the jack, tools, cooler, etc. there just isn't enough room unfortunately. I will however buy a trailer later on and keep it for this purpose (and if I need it for a diff project, moving again, friend needs it, etc.) but for now just to get back home to California, I'm renting this time. Plus if it breaks, I can get help at a U-Haul vs. having one I bought off CL failing on me in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the country (which knowing my luck is EXACTLY what would happen :D)
Thanks!

Oh didn't realize you had a vert. That leaves a bit less space lol.

Users who are viewing this thread