Traded the Terminator. Svt show me your hate (at least it's not a beetle)

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as most everyone else, and especially those that are familiar with the 'diamond in the rough' thread (which surprisingly I just read through from start to finish for the first time this afternoon). It didn't click that the anniversary Cobra in that thread and the one that was sold/traded in here are one in the same until I got to the last page - and needless to say I was disappointed.

I came from a turbocharged Acura RSX that had a full Mugen suspension and all the other associated braces, upgraded brakes, etc., and as much fun as that car was I don't think I could ever go back to a 4-banger import after having owned my Cobra. I can understand the decision if it's family/financial based, but if anyone things going from a Terminator to a BRZ is an upgrade, they're absolutely crazy.

At any rate, hope you enjoy it and don't come to regret your decision in a few weeks/months.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I'm in the same boat as most everyone else, and especially those that are familiar with the 'diamond in the rough' thread (which surprisingly I just read through from start to finish for the first time this afternoon). It didn't click that the anniversary Cobra in that thread and the one that was sold/traded in here are one in the same until I got to the last page - and needless to say I was disappointed.

I came from a turbocharged Acura RSX that had a full Mugen suspension and all the other associated braces, upgraded brakes, etc., and as much fun as that car was I don't think I could ever go back to a 4-banger import after having owned my Cobra. I can understand the decision if it's family/financial based, but if anyone things going from a Terminator to a BRZ is an upgrade, they're absolutely crazy.

At any rate, hope you enjoy it and don't come to regret your decision in a few weeks/months.

I debated awhile about answering this thread anymore, but I do appreciate all of those people who followed my "Diamond in the Rough" thread. That cobra had a long hard road and I was very satisfied with the outcome. She is missed.

As far as the swap is concerned, I can give people on here a laundry list of why I got rid of the cobra, but I don't think its going to matter to anyone....especially on a svt forum ;-) I can tell you, though, that there are a lot of former higher hp car owners (corvettes, M3's, Mustangs) that have traded "down" to a BRZ/FRS on their forums.

It's been a month, and I am still happy with my decision. If I had a choice to do it over again, I would.

Last edited:
I debated awhile about answering this thread anymore, but I do appreciate all of those people who followed my "Diamond in the Rough" thread. That cobra had a long hard road and I was very satisfied with the outcome. She is missed.

As far as the swap is concerned, I can give people on here a laundry list of why I got rid of the cobra, but I don't think its going to matter to anyone....especially on a svt forum ;-) I can tell you, though, that there are a lot of former higher hp car owners (corvettes, M3's, Mustangs) that have traded "down" to a BRZ/FRS on their forums.

It's been a month, and I am still happy with my decision. If I had a choice to do it over again, I would.

The 'Diamond in the Rough' thread was actually one of the coolest we've had on this site in some time compared to all the immature and ignorant nonsense that passes for threads these days on this site. :beer:

But you hurt me with this thread bro. When you adopt a child, you don't give that child back to the agency bro.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
The 'Diamond in the Rough' thread was actually one of the coolest we've had on this site in some time compared to all the immature and ignorant nonsense that passes for threads these days on this site. :beer:

But you hurt me with this thread bro. When you adopt a child, you don't give that child back to the agency bro.

LOL :lol: She was all growed up and it was time to let her spread her wings :D Sometimes its hard to know when to let go.... :thumbsup:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Very cool OP. True sports cars like this are always cool, and anybody but the monkeys who only focus on horsepower can see that.

kaz109

Established Member
I rented a frs a few weeks ago and had a blast! such a fun car to drive. I couldnt daily one because I found myself always wanting to speed lol....only think I didnt like was the motor characteristics meaning 4k to 7k sounded the same so I didnt really know when to shift and I found myself having to look at the tach more than I should. But that would probably change if I had more time with the car

vortech1120

Established Member
Great car, OP. I love the frs and brz, a very refined sports car and a true driver car. I loved it when I test drove one, but would I get rid of my terminator for one? Eh probably not. Congrats on new car!

Unfortunately brought to you by tapatalk

kaz109

Established Member
I am probably the only person who wouldn't want this car with a turbo kit on it..to me it would take away from its natural feel and purpose of why it was built..it wasn't made to be the hwy killer ppl want it to be...now I would like to drive it with the SC kit they have for it...i think that is a large enough bump in power

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Very cool OP. True sports cars like this are always cool, and anybody but the monkeys who only focus on horsepower can see that.

Thank you! I am very happy. Miss the cobra for sure, but this has opened up my ability to help my wife more with her business start up.

I rented a frs a few weeks ago and had a blast! such a fun car to drive. I couldnt daily one because I found myself always wanting to speed lol....only think I didnt like was the motor characteristics meaning 4k to 7k sounded the same so I didnt really know when to shift and I found myself having to look at the tach more than I should. But that would probably change if I had more time with the car

There are people who have raised the rev limiter.....they are raising it up to 8500 :eek: The car is still pulling at redline as I'm sure you noticed on the stock setup.

Great car, OP. I love the frs and brz, a very refined sports car and a true driver car. I loved it when I test drove one, but would I get rid of my terminator for one? Eh probably not. Congrats on new car!

Unfortunately brought to you by tapatalk

Thank you! It was a pretty easy decision for me when everything was weighed out. It was either this or a civic. The wife was awesome enough to let me get this. These things are very competitive, even in stock form, in autox due to the slower/shorter "tracks"

[youtube_browser]PLEU_MjWls0[/youtube_browser]

That's a lot of HP on a stock motor... :eek:

I saw this for the first time today. They literally just released this. There stage one is enough to cause trouble. 400+rwhp on E85. I have a funny feeling we will see a lot of higher HP BRZ's/FRS's soon. I'm interested to see how long that stock block lasts with 600hp. They posted on ft86club that they were gonna run it until they find the weak point. All the more power to them! :banana:

I am probably the only person who wouldn't want this car with a turbo kit on it..to me it would take away from its natural feel and purpose of why it was built..it wasn't made to be the hwy killer ppl want it to be...now I would like to drive it with the SC kit they have for it...i think that is a large enough bump in power

This is exactly how I feel. I will probably always keep this car NA. I actually watched a spot that featured the FRS vs Genesis vs Lotus Elise. One of the two guys said that he would like to see a little more power, but not much as it would throw the balance of the car off. That is how I feel. I would love to put a better set of rims on the car so I can run wider tires and possibly an intake, exhaust (quiet hopefully) and tune. That will up me to right around 200hp to the wheels and eliminate that dip in the RPM range. Sadly, this will have to wait until the car is FULLY paid off. Even with such a low hp, the weight, or lack thereof, REALLY makes the car fun!!

This is well worth the watch and it is a very good and looking at the positives and negatives of each car. Once again, the FRS/BRZ impresses.

[youtube_browser]mzTTx__QRcg[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
I agree with u....the balance is the most important thing to keep that car fun and if i wanted the bump i would go SC not TC....if I remember the SC put down like 270whp which would be perfect imo...but even stock motor with just coilovers and rims for wider tires and u have a great track car/ canyon Carver

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I agree with u....the balance is the most important thing to keep that car fun and if i wanted the bump i would go SC not TC....if I remember the SC put down like 270whp which would be perfect imo...but even stock motor with just coilovers and rims for wider tires and u have a great track car/ canyon Carver

What you just said seems to be the popular rout on the forums-- coil overs and wheels. Cool part is that the car comes stock with coilovers on all 4 corners. They aren't adjustable, but they are still coilovers. There are a couple of reviews that talk about the wheels, even over the power, being one of the biggest drawbacks, but then again, a loose rear end that is easily controlled (the car is REALLY predictable) is a lot of fun :) I'm one of the few who actually doesn't mind the wheels. Although, a set of silver TE37's would look killer on the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread