Trade my GT500 for New auto 5.0?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

In stock form the 5.0 is a bit of a turd. Since getting it i put hood struts, my extra amr wheels/tires fit thank god. Also the ford racing 670 kit and a mbrp race catback. Whole different car now...

The hood struts make all the difference! :p

99VERT

Established Member
I work in the Automotive field and I help out at a Ford dealership periodically. I see the the GT350s coming in and out of the dealership from time to time. I love the lines on the new S550s and the sound of the 350 is like no other. Today I drove a GT350 for the second time and I reconfirmed that the gt500 is for me! The clutch is uncomfortably lite and I just can't get past the lack torque. Don't get me wrong the Gt350 is nice but for what I do with the car (cruising the streets with some occasional mountain runs) the 700 plus foot lbs of torque is the decision for me. I know once I get into the mountain curves the 350 is the better ride, but I just love all the down low grunt these 500s have!

ghig50

Established Member
You'll come to regret it after you've driven around for a while and see oceans of S550 GTs everywhere.
I agree with above ,but totally understand when it's time for a change.curious to see how the race goes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ghig50

Established Member
Seems like a good price in the trade in considering most dealers don't want to give ya much.What year was your Gt500 and how many miles where on it?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It was an 11 with 31k on it, I've had the new one almost 2 months and glad i made the trade. Really they just made me to good of a deal to refuse. They made 3k off the guy they sold it to so we're both happy. Seeing how much the new 18 mustangs will be going for i made the move at the right time. My old car was no garage queen either, weekly driven, they re-painted the front end from sun fade. Seats had bolster wear etc. Nice to have a new car to play with and new tech stuff.

Seems like a good price in the trade in considering most dealers don't want to give ya much.What year was your Gt500 and how many miles where on it?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think you may have a hard time not having the power you have now.
I don't know about that, vmp sells a modest kit with a bap, pulley, tune that dynoed 680 which a little more than my shelby did. That's only with a 82mm pulley, let alone a 79mm or a 75. These car can be made just as fast if not faster pretty easily.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I don't know about that, vmp sells a modest kit with a bap, pulley, tune that dynoed 680 which a little more than my shelby did. That's only with a 82mm pulley, let alone a 79mm or a 75. These car can be made just as fast if not faster pretty easily.
I dont think anything runs like a factory tune regardless of what people say. Of course power can be made of any make or model. Id never trade in a Shelby for any mustang especially once Carol Shelby passed away. When I tell people My car is a Shelby their ears perk up, it means something to most people that know even the least about cars. Just my opinion of course... Not to say I wouldn't add a mustang to the stable.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
If you want to putz around on 12 degrees of timing the factory tune is pretty sweet. I do agree the shelby has more of a wow factor to other people for the most part. My car is for me and what i want not to impress other people.

I dont think anything runs like a factory tune regardless of what people say. Of course power can be made of any make or model. Id never trade in a Shelby for any mustang especially once Carol Shelby passed away. When I tell people My car is a Shelby their ears perk up, it means something to most people that know even the least about cars. Just my opinion of course... Not to say I wouldn't add a mustang to the stable.

pwnyryd

Established Member
Just wondering: Has anyone here test driven or bought one of the Lebanon Ford's 727hp Mustang GTs? How do they compare to GT500?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Well I've had the 5.0 for a month now so i can give a better impression. Sat up at the dealer for 2 hours before i signed and made it final. It was a tuff choice but happy with the decision. Part of it was wanting a new toy to mod. The other part was tired of the cars shifting. It was improved with a new clutch, mgw, steel clutch line, better fluid, steel clutch line, wot box etc. but not how i wanted. Was getting to the point of putting another 10k in it to go auto plus tuning working out the issues etc.

In stock form the 5.0 is a bit of a turd. Since getting it i put hood struts, my extra amr wheels/tires fit thank god. Also the ford racing 670 kit and a mbrp race catback. Whole different car now, i met the guy that bought my car and he was pretty cool mustang guy forever too so she went to a good home. He said we can meet up to race sometime so that would be real interesting. Overall the 5.0 feels more refined with a nicer interior. Kind of like my buddies 09 shelby to an 11 shelby difference wise. The irs rides much better on the highway and in bumps. Is it better/worse idk but I'm happy with the car.

I haven't been in the GT500 section since unloading mine. I was in the same boat as you. MGW2, fluid, put the BFR brace shifted better but then had NVH. Really a disappointing car. I was leaning towards a 6r80 swap but wasn't going to spend the 10K to do it. I originally traded for an SRT392 Charger then three months later traded that for a HC charger. We already own a base 16 CO GT. It's a very nice car and the power delivery is soft off the hit, but in showroom stock form has managed 12.3 @ 113 on the factory 235/18's. I don't miss the '12, but do plan on buying another 07-09 GT500. I do miss my 09 alloy/satin silver stripped beast. I never had trans issues with that car.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Yeah i was already into shifter/clutch upgrades a few thousand. Wasn't crazy about spending another 10k to convert either plus working out the tuning issues. Don't get me wrong shelby was an awesome car and glad i had one but hitting 1-2-3 shifts repeatedly took laser focus. On a roll she was deadly and was the meanest looking stang to me aside from a terminator. The gt is just as fun with a tvs and can handle the same power. Arguably more with improved rods but 650whp is plenty for the street. Yeah i would have got a hellcat charger as well honestly but 70k was above my price point. Trading straight up for this car fit my needs better. If i got into another shelby probably a 10 would be my choice. Same styling and the shifter debacle seems like it was 11-14 cars. Buddy of mine had a 08 we raced a lot. It felt like a much heavier car driving it for just another 100 pounds or so.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
When its time for a change its time for a change. I did some research before I bought my 11 and knew what I was getting into.

Intercooling improvements are, simply, a must for any GT500. A TVS definitely helps. I was really in the same boat as many of you guys regarding flat shifting. Ive done the MGW 2, fluid and clutch upgrade. It still locked me out from time to time.

The WOT box, no lie, is what has let me finally flat shift this beast. Ive not had a change to get to the track, but on a nice deserted stretch of freeway I eased the gas to near redline. Once i was clear I went WOT and using the wot box I made an effortless shift into 2nd. Took her to redline and shifted into 3rd and then briefly into 4th. Butter smooth every time.

Is it a pain in the ass to have to go to such lengths, sure it is. But the tools and parts are out there to make a hit and not get locked out of gears. I swear by the WOT box, at least for no lift WOT shifting.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I had EVERY clutch/shifter upgrade there is. While it improved shifting there was still something left i felt needed improved. I was to the point of going from mgw gen1 to gen2 but from others results didn't eliminate the issue. After that would have gone 6r80. I opted to go with the car that has the trans factory already. After all the mods i could hit every shift 90% of the time if i clutched before redline. If i took it to redline 50/50 and that's with other drivers not just me. Some guys say they don't have it, most do. Maybe there's a few factory freaks but imo the one's that don't have it are mostly not pushing the car. For a weekend crusier or highway pulls you mostly won't experience it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Oh, yeah, no i wasnt being critical of your switch. Auto S550 Coyotes with power adders are proven to be awesome performers!

My post was geared more toward us Shelby owners looking for that last piece of the puzzle.

Ive contemplated a 6r80 with a US Shift Quick 6 controller swap if i ever get to a point where a swap is cheaper than a T56 Magnum XL. I still love shifting though, so i suppose ill just worry about it when i get to that bridge.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It is fun banging gears, i did contemplate the t-56 as well. I appreciate the input about the new controller. While i still had my car that was info i didn't have and I'm sure many others didn't.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
[QUOTE="NightRide, post: 15681865, member: 122226Some guys say they don't have it, most do. Maybe there's a few factory freaks but imo the one's that don't have it are mostly not pushing the car. For a weekend crusier or highway pulls you mostly won't experience it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That is why I won't waste a dime on another Ford manual trans car.

tktlwyr

Established Member
I had been thinking about trading my Shelby in for a supercharged, auto 5.0 for a while, too. Clutch issues and what turned out to be a tuning issue have had me frustrated for about a year and a half.

I was a lucky guy who's stock clutch lasted 65,000 miles. Having to change my slave cylinder at that mileage, I put in my first RXT sprung hub despite the factory clutch looking great. The car always had some creep in it with the clutch pedal pressed in. At that mileage, if the trans is down it only makes sense to do the clutch. My trans always shifted flawlessly except 1-2 scratching while shifting quickly. At that time I switched to synthetic trans fluid and a 1st gen MGW. The transmission now shifted flawlessly.

Fast forward 30,000 miles and I just put in in my 3rd RXT (non sprung hub this time). Ughhh. The problem finally appears to be resolved, though. Apparently, I had a problem with master cylinder that was causing issues since new. The car always had some creep with the clutch pedal pressed in and the pedal was always stiff. The former Ford mechanic and fellow racer who installed the first two always bitched about how the car was a PITA to bleed the hydraulic system.

While at Power By the Hour for a tune update, the 2nd RXT refused to disengage while loading the car on the dyno. We decided to change the clutch style to the earlier style, non-sprung hub design. They discovered the master cylinder problem while attempting to bleed the slave. In addition, they changed some Ford parts the factory updated where the bleeder screw was that had a tendency to trap air inside the system. PBH was not responsible for the installation of the first two RXTs.

I picked up the car on Tuesday and WOW! I now have that light pedal feel I always heard about with the RXTs. It's like butter! I'm still breaking it in, but my hopes are high this time. They said this was the first master cylinder they've ever had to replace. Ironically, 2 other cars needed master cylinders after they changed mine.

The intermittent drivability issue I was experiencing also appears to have been cured by Mr. Lund. No more poppping, bucking, wheezing, hesitating, idle hunting. The car seems perfect. After 5 years, bad experiences at "performance" shops and a LOT of money, I now have the mythical unicorn GT500 that I've always heard about...+700RWHP and perfect drivability.

It just goes to show that taking your car a reputable shop that KNOWS our cars is well worth the time and money. They impressed me with things that they pointed out about my car the first time I was there but the distance was always prohibitive. I just moved an hour north and I can tell you, no one else will touch my car now.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Both of my GT500's ran great. The 09 was an absolute beast and was on the stock 09 ceramic clutch. The 12 was on the stock semi metallic clutch and that was the only thing I didn't change. I just was done spending money on the car. I truly believe the clutch has a lot to do with it. The ceramic clutches in the 07-09 although noisy or chattering at times IMHO were a stronger clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread