Trade my 02 GT for a 99 Cobra?

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
As the title suggests, im thinking of doing an even trade with a dealership for a 99 Cobra that they have listed @ $14,950. The cobra is bone stock i think with black/black leather and has 45k miles on the car. And my car is black/black leather 5speed with 47k miles on the car.

Is it worth trading my daily driver GT in for this soon-to-be my daily driver cobra? I know the 99 cobra's had that "fix" problem, but i was just wondering if its even worth the trade. my GT mods are in my sig and i would probably remove some or most of them before i did the trade. Just wanted some input from you SVT guys.

I realize the dealer is getting a better trade out of the deal, as he can turn around and sell my GT for more than the cobra is worth...is there anyway i can get them to pay ME to take the cobra? Maybe get an extended warranty out of the deal?

What do STOCK 99 Cobras run at the 1/4?

Do the 99 Cobras have Traction Control???

Really on the fence about this trade....

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
I would trade, I mean the car is fast and a couple of the things off of your GT will fit on the Cobra. They do have traction control and they run about mid 13's in the 1/4mile.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
My mid-pipe would fit? really? I find that interesting. Even the 02 sensor ports are in the same place?

Is there any chance my T3650 MGW shifter would fit the T45 Cobra's? :( I really love that thing...

How about the lowering springs? Cast & Camber plates?

EDIT: Think the dealer would let me steal my smoked headlights off my 02 GT? hahaha :D

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
txrunsvt said:
your midpipe will fit and all have traction control

do it 4v are better than 2v :burnout:

your front struts, C/C plates and rims and tires will transfer as well.

If the condition of the Cobra is just as good, or better, than your GT, then go for the 4V!

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
If the midpipe matches up...any chance the JBA shorty headers will match up??

Edit read my above posts again i editted them while u guys were posting

Last edited:

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
My mid-pipe would fit? really? I find that interesting. Even the 02 sensor ports are in the same place?

Is there any chance my T3650 MGW shifter would fit the T45 Cobra's? :( I really love that thing...

How about the lowering springs? Cast & Camber plates?

EDIT: Think the dealer would let me steal my smoked headlights off my 02 GT? hahaha :D

The back springs will not transfer. As for the front springs, it will depend upon the specs of your springs if it would be worth it. The 99 Cobras have 400/505 lb/in front springs, but at a stock ride height (which you can cut them a little to lower it).

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
Udtbadkarma said:
If the midpipe matches up...any chance the JBA shorty headers will match up??

Edit read my above posts again i editted them while u guys were posting

The shorty headers will not transfer as GT's have round exhaust ports, and Cobras have oval exhaust ports.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
So you guys think i should do the trade then huh.... hmmm i just can't help but feel like im losing on this deal due to the fact that im buying a 3 year OLDER car....I mean if i can convert some mods over i'd feel a little happier.

Just iffy about the trade at all. I love my GT as my daily driver, but i DO think its freakin slow. Would love to get a cobra and now ihave the chance and i feel like i dont want to. I think i need some more confidence lol.

Any of you guys trade your prior GT in for your cobra now? Was it worth the trade?

I'm also worried about this IRS feelin wierd.....

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
I'd go with the 4V even with the mods. those cobra's are rated at 320HP. Even with your mods I'm not sure that you're there yet. I'd say cobra that's just my Opinion

Last edited:

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
Should i hold out for an 01 Cobra maybe? I mean i REALLY can't even spend like $1 towards a trade in, im THAT broke....but i guess in my mind i feel the 99 cobra was the worst cobra to have....other than a pre-99 model years (lol sorry 98 guys) =p

Am i wrong? Or is hte 99 cobra lackingin areas in comparison to the 01? I know the seats were different, buti dont really care about that...

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Go for the 99. Cobra will hold it's value better, the engine is hand assembled so they have lower failure rates, IRS, plus it's a Cobra, lol.

If you can't spare any money for trade, get the 99. By the time you can save up the diff. for an 01, your 02 GT will have depreciated even more and you'll just have to spend that much more.

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
ok Lets talk BLOCKS. The 99 and 01 Cobras have aluminum blocks... Is my 02 GT block alluminum as well? There any problems with these aluminum blocks i should know about?

I think the 03/04s have cast iron, for the power adders. Is there a problem with the blocks when power adding a 99 or 01 Cobra?

I will probably keep her N/A. Id love to get the 99 cobra. Do some cosmetic mods, gears over the summer...and with in the next year: cams, bored stroked, etc. But 1st things 1st...gotta decide on if i want to get the car or not...

Udtbadkarma

Established Member
STANGNET FORUM MEMBER said:
Aaaahhhh yes, the good ol' 99. Been there and done that one. See sig that I havent changed yet...Great Great car after all the fixes. It will go down in history as the "can-full-of-worms" year for the Cobra. As has been said, run a vin check and go to SVT or the dealer for a list of the problems. The big one was of course the HP fix, then the drive line "vibe" issue. The latter was the most frustrating of the group. A total bitch to get rid of. I never completly got rid of mine. Swapping out to an aluminum drive line ( now standard on Cobra) took most of it out..If you drive the car to 45-55-65 mph and feel anything coming up thru the seat that feels like body vibration, thats what I'm talking about. Struts were a headache too. Snap, crackle pop right from the first mile.. Get a full listing of the TSB's and go thru them carefully. The 99 had quite a list. If the previous owner did all the major and some minor fixes, then you got a good car. Take it to a dealer and get it plugged in for service history. They might charge you a few bucks to do it but its worth it. Well worth it. I loved my 99 (now have an 03) to death but gawdam it drove me nuts for the first year. A big part of the problem was Ford dragging their damn feet on fixes.

That is what someone had to say about the 99 cobras....im gettin worried now that it would be one noisy pain in the ass to ride lol

Playtme

Established Member
I just did the trade myself 01 for 01. I didnt worry about all this stuff you are. IT'S A COBRA! It will hold the value more than the GT. You'll have more HP and TQ with less work. My GT was lowered, KB EX subs 3.73's and some more add ons that I hated to let go but I knew in the long run I would be a TON happier.

If people were unhappy with their 99's you would sure hear about it in this forum.

I had 04 cobra seats in the 01 GT and worked trading the seats out in the back lot as part of the deal. Their now in the 01 Cobra.

Playtme

Established Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANGNET FORUM MEMBER
Aaaahhhh yes, the good ol' 99. Been there and done that one. See sig that I havent changed yet...Great Great car after all the fixes. It will go down in history as the "can-full-of-worms" year for the Cobra. As has been said, run a vin check and go to SVT or the dealer for a list of the problems. The big one was of course the HP fix, then the drive line "vibe" issue. The latter was the most frustrating of the group. A total bitch to get rid of. I never completly got rid of mine. Swapping out to an aluminum drive line ( now standard on Cobra) took most of it out..If you drive the car to 45-55-65 mph and feel anything coming up thru the seat that feels like body vibration, thats what I'm talking about. Struts were a headache too. Snap, crackle pop right from the first mile.. Get a full listing of the TSB's and go thru them carefully. The 99 had quite a list. If the previous owner did all the major and some minor fixes, then you got a good car. Take it to a dealer and get it plugged in for service history. They might charge you a few bucks to do it but its worth it. Well worth it. I loved my 99 (now have an 03) to death but gawdam it drove me nuts for the first year. A big part of the problem was Ford dragging their damn feet on fixes.

That is what someone had to say about the 99 cobras....im gettin worried now that it would be one noisy pain in the ass to ride lol

I would think most or all of these would have been worked out by now also. You could also see if you could talk to the old owner? I tracked down the last owner of mine and he gave me some past history. No problems!

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I love my cobra, and my bro has an 02 auto GT with similar mods(except suspension) and I spank him up and down with head starts, rolls, digs, ect. The car just doesn't compare. My car is way more solid, and better built than his gt. I just had a motor failure at 32k miles, the only thing they could find wrong was too much crank-shaft endplay. Motor didn't really fail, just made noise. Haven't met a person yet that doesn't like the 99-01's. For other reasons than wanting to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread