Trade in question?

king nothing

Established Member
Thinking about trading my wife's 11 Edge for a Jeep Wrangler. The edge is due for tires. Is it worth it to put tires on it before trading? In other words, if I spend $500 on tires will it increase my trade value by at least $500?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you spent $500 to increase your valued trade by $500 why even waste the time/effort?

They will likely low ball you anyways and not negotiate so putting money into it wont help.

I asked the same about what they used to value my trade (offered me $2k for my fusion) and its mostly just based on mileage, overall condition, title (clean vs salvaged, etc) and what the market value is. My car has a CEL and needs tires and they didnt even notice.

I wouldnt mess with it. You would likely end up spending $500 to get a $100 return.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Nope, you'll get less out of it then what you put in it. Unless it's a car they REALLY want on their lot, they go to auction anyway.

Rct851

Established Member
Used car manager would think at $125 per tire that's way to expensive. He will call your used tires as summer only lol.

When I was at a dealership the used car manager was the biggest hustler in the place. Millionaire dealership owner had nothing on this guy.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I wondered the same thing. Tires are shot on the focus but I'm looking at trading in for a mustang in the next few months. Daily commute is only 6 miles so they should last a little longer. That is if I can get a fair trade, seems the focus just plummets in value.

oldmodman

Established Member
New tires would be worth a grand total of......absolutely nothing.

As would a very good detaining.

However, both of those thing would bring more money if you offered it for sale to a private party.

Vigilante

Established Member
Fixing anything on a car you trade in actually lowers the value because of the time it takes. They run it through a computer regardless of condition, looking for what its selling at auction. If you plan on Private Party selling, then go for it, it'll get more people to come look at it. Case in point I have been selling a Pontiac G5 since March, first thing I did was go to Carmax and a couple dealers after finding something I liked at each, before dealing with people on craigslist. They would give me an estimate, but no one would take it because of the ignition recall that requires 8 weeks to order the parts. Figured, "That's eight weeks to get it back to perfect condition."

NOPE! Turns out that now that the recall was fixed(And all the other crap) they would be willing to take it, but at $1500 less than the first time I was there. So you lose out on the money you sink in AND your value goes down.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Get the black book value, blue book value and private trade value and take them when going in. I got 8k for my 05 Mustang with 64k miles on it(abused and wrecked) because I had those with me and demanded or I walk. Dont be afraid to walk away, they will do everything they can before you drive away. My mustang was maybe worth 6500 at the most.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Get the black book value, blue book value and private trade value and take them when going in. I got 8k for my 05 Mustang with 64k miles on it(abused and wrecked) because I had those with me and demanded or I walk. Dont be afraid to walk away, they will do everything they can before you drive away. My mustang was maybe worth 6500 at the most.

As long as you think you got a good deal that's all that matters, I'm sure the dealer made it up somewhere else on the new vehicle you bought.

You will never do well on a trade unless its absolutely something the dealer wants, and still will not do better than a private party sale.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as you think you got a good deal that's all that matters, I'm sure the dealer made it up somewhere else on the new vehicle you bought.

You will never do well on a trade unless its absolutely something the dealer wants, and still will not do better than a private party sale.

19k OTD on a 2015 Fiesta ST, i made out like a bandit. They are trying to find 11.5 for my old Mustang so they might make it back, carfax may say otherwise....

Oh and im sure i could have gotten more on a private sale but i didnt want to deal with it. i was expecting 8k and i got that exact amount. I didnt think id get low on the new car though and when i planned on walking they just kept making the deal sweeter and sweeter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread