Trade -In after tuned

May93

Established Member
I've read where the individuals with a tune on their car have had warranty issues when taking the car to the dealership. This thread is not to argue that point either way but I am curious if whether not it becomes a issue when you trade your modded car in?

I'm reading post after post where a car was returned back to stock before being traded in. Has anyone been questioned regarding a tune on car or any other modifications made? Has anyone taken a Mustang they bought used in for warranty work only to find it has been cancelled due to past owners tunes?

Maybe this has been addressed in other threads but I haven't seen anything regarding trade in issues and I'm surprised it hasn't been a big problem. I know if I was buying used I'd be asking the has it ever been modified or the computer flashed with a aftermarket tune? Especially if it was a GT500 and I was spending a large amount of money.

Last edited:

Cjburn

Established Member
I have always wondered if the dealer checks the box on the window sticker stating that the original warranty is still valid, even if it has been tuned (by the original owner), that somehow the dealer who sold the un-modified, tuned car is then on the hook to honor the warranty even if said warranty had been cancelled before the second owner purchased the car.

HandBanana

Established Member
when trading in the dealer is not gonna give a rip!

Pretty much this. I've traded in 6 modified cars and the dealers barely cared if they run, they just ship the things off to auction mostly or have one of their younger techs go over the car and slap a huge invoice on it.

OP, 3-4 sentence paragraphs help. Your post hurt my eyes.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If a dealership sells you a car under warranty pretense, unknowing of any tunes or aftermarket parts, the onus is on them to cover it. If you take it to another dealer and they are privy to the fact it has some tune, youll likely have to have it reflashed by the dealer that you bought it from.

It hasnt been a big problem because it isnt a big problem. Most dealers will reflash the most latest ford tune anyways, overwriting any aftermarket tune completely. If its another mfgr dealer or used dealership they couldnt give two ****s what the tune is.

Basically, if youre buying a car, and it comes with a warranty, youre good to go. If they sold you a car with a warranty, that could not be warrantied, its their fault.
If youre trading in a car, who gives a ****, let them deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread