traction with a 1000hp?

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
i have a question, i have a buddy that wants to turbo his 03 or maybe even a vette, he plans to make 1000 plus hp no matter what the cost, he basically knows what hes talking about except for the fact that we argue about traction issues at that hp level, ive never owned a turbo car and my current setup makes close to 750 to the tire and i have to use m/t et drag for traction, is it possible at all to keep traction to race from say a second gear roll on the street, and keep in mind he wants to keep his irs is their any parts that would handle abuse of racing on the street and at the track with slicks or even drag radials , like i said dont know cause i havent been there

Teej281

Established Member
Its called a progressive boost controller. AMS1000 boost controller allows you to do Boost-by-Gear, where you put microswitches I guess somewhere on like the shift stops or something that tell the boost controller what gear you're in and then you have a boost level set for that gear and it will allow it to only reach that boost in that gear.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
power

Its called a progressive boost controller. AMS1000 boost controller allows you to do Boost-by-Gear, where you put microswitches I guess somewhere on like the shift stops or something that tell the boost controller what gear you're in and then you have a boost level set for that gear and it will allow it to only reach that boost in that gear.

so i could actually be making more power than him or as much if he has to limit his boost to catch traction right? if so thats my point why have it if you cant use it

jliddle

Established Member
Your boy wants to keep his IRS at 1000hp? And wants to keep traction in second?

You do know that there are twin-screw cars busting it loose in second gear right? Even rolling.

Most of the guys around here will tell you the same thing about the IRS handling BIG power. IIRC.. Full Tilt Boogie kit, Fore Diff Cover and a few spare sets of stock shafts are about as far as youll get w/out doing a SRA swap.

You can forget DR's hooking up with that kinda power. It'd have to be running E/T's to have any chance of second gear traction.

C666

Established Member
Its all about $$$ and time lol... weight transfer and tire are cirtical the only tire I can think that will "fit" and have a chance of hooking is the 295/65/15 Hoosire DR that is basicly a slick with 2 grooves 29.6" tall and 11" wide... and I have been tols BS3 can be upgraded with real traction control that would allow somone to make max power the road will take... a glide will also help the car hook on he street 50-180 goes by quick

Digital

Established Member
so i could actually be making more power than him or as much if he has to limit his boost to catch traction right? if so thats my point why have it if you cant use it

If you can be WOT at 15 psi and barely have traction then anything more is useless. Just like your 750 is useless. But you'd be amazed the amount of power you can get to hook in 4th gear, or even 5th.

Teej281

Established Member

So you think maintaining traction is pointless? There is nothing on this earth that is going to keep you planted in 2nd gear with a full 1000rwhp hitting all at once. The point is to maintain traction until the point where you can truly wield the 1000rwhp and do it safely and without spinning so you can really pull like a train.

Shows how ignorant some people are...

C666

Established Member
My friends 1000RWHP Viper hooks in 2nd this is a 50 to 200+ pull 7 tenths of a mile
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRy5s5uNIE"]YouTube - TT Viper vs Moded GSXR 250rwhp[/nomedia]

He has a huge wing and its not for looks 345 BFG DR's and suspension that works

Last edited:

Ninesecsnake

Boost Addict
Established Member
My car makes 1400+ wheel and by using the AMS 1000 I can start out at 60mph with 15lbs and ramp it all the way to 30lbs in 3-5 seconds with my little 275 radials and not spin at all. It's all about power management, lets say I leave the boost at 25-30lbs and start at 90mph it will destroy the tires but it sure is fun! You need to apply the power smooth and equally or it will upset the balance of the car and spin the tires.

Here is a link to my 8.40 pass, listen to the motor pull slowly at the launch and then you can hear the power ramp up within 3 seconds, it's the same on the street you just have to be more gentle with the power.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8ZSx73dYA"]YouTube - Twin Turbo 93 Cobra 8.40@170 Incar (unedited)[/nomedia]

Here is another roll race that I did a couple years back while I was on 275/40/17 Mickeys, the car I was racing was an evo MR with at GT42R and made over 900 wheel and I just walked away from him with no wheel spin at all, like I said it's all about the boost controller and power management.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t69jOq_pYGw"]YouTube - South Side Performance GT42R Evo vs. Twin 76mm Mustang[/nomedia]

Last edited:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
traction

So you think maintaining traction is pointless? There is nothing on this earth that is going to keep you planted in 2nd gear with a full 1000rwhp hitting all at once. The point is to maintain traction until the point where you can truly wield the 1000rwhp and do it safely and without spinning so you can really pull like a train.

Shows how ignorant some people are...

do you street race ? cause if you have a car with 750-800 hp that can launch with a street slick and your talking about feathering the gas while hes pulling away do you really think you will catch him?and that is my point nothing will hook in second with a full thousand horse so if you have to feather the gas or lower your boost momentarily (boost controller) wont you always play catch up to an 800hp car that hooks

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
do you street race ? cause if you have a car with 750-800 hp that can launch with a street slick and your talking about feathering the gas while hes pulling away do you really think you will catch him?and that is my point nothing will hook in second with a full thousand horse so if you have to feather the gas or lower your boost momentarily (boost controller) wont you always play catch up to an 800hp car that hooks

No I dont street race you moron. Racing is meant for a tract...DUH!!! Street racing is retarded, as there is many more risks, like injuring yourself and others, as well as punishment by law if caught. I'll ride shotgun though and laugh my ass off at you while you're getting arrested for street racing!

Good luck getting a full 800rwhp to hook on the street period as well. You'll need hoosier/mt drag radials in about as wide as you can fit, full suspension(whether it be full delrin bushings on an IRS or full control arm setup or torque arm/phb setup with great lowers) including drag racing coilovers. LTHL VNM on here is using a kenne bell and E85 and is making around the same power as you and he is running hoosier dr's in 335/30R18 and has the FTBR bushing kit and 3.27 rear gears and he is on the edge of traction, as you can see in his exhaust video he posted not too long ago. I mean you have to pretty much be setup for straight line only racing in order to hook up on the street. Me personally, I'd rather drive a street car.

I guess my point is this, anything over 600rwhp you're going to have traction issues, unless you drop serious coin in the suspension. Even at the 600rwhp level you'll have to idealize your setup for traction. When comparing your 800rwhp to a 1000rwhp car, I'd still give it to the 1000rwhp car. You'll both be spinning, but the 1000rwhp car will be spinning harder and both will eventually catch traction and by that time its like a cobra racing a GT...he'll blow right by without a blink.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
My car makes 1400+ wheel and by using the AMS 1000 I can start out at 60mph with 15lbs and ramp it all the way to 30lbs in 3-5 seconds with my little 275 radials and not spin at all. It's all about power management, lets say I leave the boost at 25-30lbs and start at 90mph it will destroy the tires but it sure is fun! You need to apply the power smooth and equally or it will upset the balance of the car and spin the tires.

Here is a link to my 8.40 pass, listen to the motor pull slowly at the launch and then you can hear the power ramp up within 3 seconds, it's the same on the street you just have to be more gentle with the power.
YouTube - Twin Turbo 93 Cobra 8.40@170 Incar (unedited)

Here is another roll race that I did a couple years back while I was on 275/40/17 Mickeys, the car I was racing was an evo MR with at GT42R and made over 900 wheel and I just walked away from him with no wheel spin at all, like I said it's all about the boost controller and power management.
YouTube - South Side Performance GT42R Evo vs. Twin 76mm Mustang
You did more than walk away-you destroyed him. That wasn't even close! Does the AMS work well from different roll speeds on the highway since it's based on time--not MPH? Like if you did a roll from 30 vs. 70, vs. off the line, how would the AMS perform with the ramp rate? Hope that makes sense.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
You're right, you can't hook a full 1000 hp in second gear on the street in 2 wd car, but with a turbo you can ramp it into to just the right power level, where as a blower car makes what it makes. So if your boy has a 1000 hp car and only makes what you make in second, but ramps it up in 3rd, what makes you think he will be playing catch up?

Digital

Established Member
No I dont street race you moron. Racing is meant for a tract...DUH!!! Street racing is retarded, as there is many more risks, like injuring yourself and others, as well as punishment by law if caught. I'll ride shotgun though and laugh my ass off at you while you're getting arrested for street racing!

Good luck getting a full 800rwhp to hook on the street period as well. You'll need hoosier/mt drag radials in about as wide as you can fit, full suspension(whether it be full delrin bushings on an IRS or full control arm setup or torque arm/phb setup with great lowers) including drag racing coilovers. LTHL VNM on here is using a kenne bell and E85 and is making around the same power as you and he is running hoosier dr's in 335/30R18 and has the FTBR bushing kit and 3.27 rear gears and he is on the edge of traction, as you can see in his exhaust video he posted not too long ago. I mean you have to pretty much be setup for straight line only racing in order to hook up on the street. Me personally, I'd rather drive a street car.

I guess my point is this, anything over 600rwhp you're going to have traction issues, unless you drop serious coin in the suspension. Even at the 600rwhp level you'll have to idealize your setup for traction. When comparing your 800rwhp to a 1000rwhp car, I'd still give it to the 1000rwhp car. You'll both be spinning, but the 1000rwhp car will be spinning harder and both will eventually catch traction and by that time its like a cobra racing a GT...he'll blow right by without a blink.

Half of your comment you sound like a moron and the other half you make sense. I never understand that.

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
turbo

YouTube - Twin Turbo 93 Cobra 8.40@170 Incar (unedited)

YouTube - South Side Performance GT42R Evo vs. Twin 76mm Mustang

how much money do you tkink it costs to make 1000hp in a 03 cobra with the supporting mods to handle the power (clutch,rear-end,fuel,block,turbo kit,all other misc. parts and of course labor)this is assuming you drop your car off at a shop and pick it up with 1000hp, ive seen 3-4 guys making 600-850hp with turbos always get walked by the twin screw cars, only one i saw win consistently is the car with the automatic, these guys always trying to brake boost, and wanting to race from high mph rolls, i mean turbos are the best powwer adder but to make them work properly costs money ,alot of it

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
turbo

since you dont street race, probably because your a woman trapped in a mans body, you havent seen turbo cars get walked by twin screw cars all the time, the turbo cars that actually win have 30,000 in their setups, its just ive seen 650hp twin screws witha 100 shot outrun 800hp turbo cobras, there are countless factors as to why but i know to make turbo cars consistent costs alot of money, ive rode in them and i just couldnt take the lag, with the automatic its so much better but i love my six speed and power below 3,000 rpm's, thats why ive never made the switch, i know they are better, it takes something like 80hp to drive my 3.4 and a turbo runs on the exhaust gasses so theres no comparison but the drivability is so much different and i know you guys spend alot of money on the turbo stuff

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
since you dont street race, probably because your a woman trapped in a mans body, you havent seen turbo cars get walked by twin screw cars all the time, the turbo cars that actually win have 30,000 in their setups, its just ive seen 650hp twin screws witha 100 shot outrun 800hp turbo cobras, there are countless factors as to why but i know to make turbo cars consistent costs alot of money, ive rode in them and i just couldnt take the lag, with the automatic its so much better but i love my six speed and power below 3,000 rpm's, thats why ive never made the switch, i know they are better, it takes something like 80hp to drive my 3.4 and a turbo runs on the exhaust gasses so theres no comparison but the drivability is so much different and i know you guys spend alot of money on the turbo stuff

Have you ever had your car to the track?

Users who are viewing this thread