Traction with 20's

04sonicL

Established Member
Are there any of you guys that have 20" rims or even better that have found a way to hook off the line? As soon as I hit it in first grear its nothing but spinning. Even if I ease into it then floor it my tires still break loose pretty bad. I break loose every time on the 1-2 shift as well if I have it floored. I know that they recently started making drag radials for 20" but I use my truck as a DD and im not sure how they would work in the rain. My tires are 295/40 and I love they way they look, but not traction sucks.

Taunto

Established Member
nitto now makes a 20 inch drag radial.. heck I seen a 22inch nitto drag radial on a beamer at work last week.. i thought 20'' was the biggest they made...

LSUstang05

Established Member
I know that my 20's are just street tires and I know they wont hook for anything. If I want to go race I'll buy me some drag wheels and some slicks for the track. It's not worth trying to figure out how to get 20's to hook up heh

Edit: Nitto's will be great for the street, but they are pretty worthless in the rain. You'll slide all over the road during rain, unfortunately.

Last edited:

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I was using 20" Nitto Drag Radials and was ripping 1.8 60' times. I have some mild mods, and even without traction bars, I was launching straight and level without any wheel hop or spin. I have them in the market section only because I am trying to get money together for my new project ('50 Merc).

Here's my ad in the Market section:
Nitto DRs with wheels

You will love launching with DRs.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
You will need the DR version to hook. And of course you will need to heat them up to hook.

People always say the 18" 555r's hook soooo well on the street. They forget to mention you have to burnout. Even then, it's still an unprepped street. With that said, im going with the mickeys for my next set of street tires :)

04sonicL

Established Member
yea I figured DR's would be crap in the rain. I guess I should just get a set of
DR's for my stock rims instead and slap them on when I want to play. Its also funny that I can spin down the road and it makes no burning rubber noise, they just spin. Dam german tires.

Users who are viewing this thread