traction-lock rebuild - extra clutch packs

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I'm needing to rebuild my diff and I've read that some have added extra clutch packs. Thanks to the broken search feature, I could only find a couple of threads from 2008. Has anyone done this recently? What procedure are you using for the install? Is it noticeably better for straight line?

MG0h3

Established Member
Just order the Ford Carbon disc kit that came in your cobra. Use the same amount of discs that come out. It seems like I have ended up with extra discs in the past but I dont think I did with the cobra.

I did mine when I did a diff rebuild during the FTBR install, otherwise I wouldnt have been in there. Ive never had a trak lok totally let go (one tire fire) but I guess it has seemed a little better after a rebuild. Nothing major though.

If anything, getting the s spring compressed and installed can be tricky. My method is to compress it in a vice and then clamp is with some vice grips.

Just follow the directions. You need to soak the discs in the friction modifier. Id use a sealable tupperware that youll toss out. Stuff stinks and lingers for awhile.

Mach828

Established Member
You replace one splined spacer on each side for a clutch pack. Use your best used one you have available. You can try to add another clutch pack to one side and see if you can still slide the spider gears back into place. If it is too tight you can run rear end gear shims to really tighten the clutch packs up. I have also done ones where I sand the splined spacers, up to you if you want to get that serious. You can get it to drag the tire around corners but they losen up a little, don't be afraid to really pack it tight. It is much better in traction and rear end control (equal power distribution).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread