traction lock questions

01_Svt venom

Established Member
So my traction lock took a crap on me last fall at the drag strip. Whats the best one to go with? I was looking at the 31 spline eatons and wanted to know what everyone thought of them. Would it be worth it to rebuild the stock one or do they still have problems? Also is this something I can install myself? I dont know if the gears would need to be set up again after the install which is why im asking.

cobraracer46

Banned
Throw the Traction lock diff into the scrap pile and go with a True Trac diff. The True Trac generates torque bias with gears instead of clutches that burn out like on the stock traction lock diff. My Cobra has a True Trac diff and it quietly goes about it's business. No more one wheel peel exiting corners!

Bite Me

Established Member
Rebuild it with carbon fiber clutches (03/04 clutch pack) and be done with it. If you want to spend money get a new one, but I dont think its worth it unless your making some serious power. Like over 600.

cobraracer46

Banned
Rebuild it with carbon fiber clutches (03/04 clutch pack) and be done with it.

If you continue to fool around with the Ford traction lock assembly by rebuilding it with Carbon fiber or any other clutch material, you certainly won't be done with it as the clutches will eventually burn out again.:burn:

In order to be truly "done with it" when it comes to the differential assembly, a clutch pack diff needs to be replaced with a zero maintenance gear torque bias unit.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
In order to be truly "done with it" when it comes to the differential assembly, a clutch pack diff needs to be replaced with a zero maintenance gear torque bias unit.

True, But how often do you really need to change clutch packs....
Mine lasted for 80,000 miles with thousands of burnouts and clutch dumps...

Bite Me

Established Member
If you continue to fool around with the Ford traction lock assembly by rebuilding it with Carbon fiber or any other clutch material, you certainly won't be done with it as the clutches will eventually burn out again.:burn:

The clutch packs last for a long time, not 5k miles, and not 10 runs at the strip. Mine were still going strong at 80k, I replaced them so I wouldnt have to redo this stuff again in a few thousand miles. A cobra making 300-350, or hell even 450rwhp doesnt need anything other than stock. Like I said if you want to spend money on one be my guest, but there isnt any point except having "zero maintenance". How many times have you seen someone "maintain" a clutch pack? Do you honestly think any of us will keep our cars for another 80,000 miles?

Bite Me

Established Member
Oh and by the pics of this guys car, it looks pretty stock. I dont think he has twin turbos or anything that would even come close to requiring any change in the traction lock unit. He could use a stock replacement clutch pack and be fine for another 80k.

Users who are viewing this thread