Traction issues after lowering?

Going for broke

Established Member
Anyone else having issues hooking up after lowering your car?
I'm running steeda sport springs with koni yellows. I have relocation brackets in the middle hole and am running the stock tire type but in a 275 fitment.
The car doesn't transfer weight to rear as well as stock. Anyone else have this issue after dropping? I know that a stickier tire would help but just wondered if anyone else experienced the same..?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Did you set your pinion angle after lowing the car? Also the stock pirellis are not good traction tires!

Last edited:

NickSezz

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, those Konis are adjustable. Play around with them a bit. Keep the front on the loose side and the rears somewhere in the middle and go from there.

You want the front to lift and transfer the weight to the rear. The rear should squat but not too much.

Sounds like your set up too tight.

Going for broke

Established Member
Did you set your pinion angle after lowing the car? Also the stock pirellis are not good traction tires!

Not lowered enough to worry about pinion angle. I understand the stock tires aren't great but they hooked well enough for consistent 4.3 0-60 times before I lowered.

Going for broke

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, those Konis are adjustable. Play around with them a bit. Keep the front on the loose side and the rears somewhere in the middle and go from there.

You want the front to lift and transfer the weight to the rear. The rear should squat but not too much.

Sounds like your set up too tight.

Fronts and rears full soft. If you try to firm up either side the car goes nowhere.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Not lowered enough to worry about pinion angle. I understand the stock tires aren't great but they hooked well enough for consistent 4.3 0-60 times before I lowered.

I got the same springs you have, and when i had my whiteline set up installed last week the pinion angle had to be set! Not only that the axle was slightly off center from lowering. You better get that checked, because it makes a big difference!

Going for broke

Established Member
I got the same springs you have, and when i had my whiteline set up installed last week the pinion angle had to be set! Not only that the axle was slightly off center from lowering. You better get that checked, because it makes a big difference!

Hmm, not sure what impact the pinion angle would have on traction.? I also have an adjustable panhard and brace.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you have a stock 2pc driveshaft you should not have to play with the pinion angle.

06colorado

Established Member
I'm on H&R springs with adj, pan hand bar and have no traction. Time for some rubber upgrade

D98GT

Established Member
When I had my 2011 mustang; I quickly learned that even while on ET STREETS (bias ply at that) that lowering the car really made it suffer at the track. My 60's were .1+ off due to it.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Lowering springs often allow less transfer and less traction.

Hence why racers opt for drag springs.

You never get the best of both worlds.

86merc

Established Member
The springs have a higher spring rate than stock. And the valving of the shocks and struts are also firmer than stock. So the suspension acts differently for sure.

Lowering the car also changes all you instant center, center of gravity and anti squat. You can change it some with the lower relocation brackets. A upper link mount with different mounting points can be used to change things as well.

If I'm not mistaken, those Konis are adjustable.

They are rebound adjustable only.

Chaney5.0

You have to sacrifice looks for performance. With just lowering springs etc. Like others have said if you wanted to perform Drag springs would have been better. If I was JUST dragging the car I would have kept ride height stock for the most part and done the suspension up for performance rather than looks.

How ever I have a race car, and this is my weekend warrior/relaxing and fun track passes car. So I balance looks/performance.

I myself still need to get good LCA's and Relocation brackets. Which will be soon :)

grabber blue gt

Established Member
I'm on K springs and traction sucks!! I still need to cut my bump stops though cause I only have like 1/2 when the car is sitting still so my car may also not be squatting enough.

I am still on stock shocks and struts but will be upgrading to Konis or tokicos.

Going for broke

Established Member
Well at least I'm not alone. I understand that the shock rates are firmer as well as the travel is less. I was basically just trying to make sure that others experience the same effect from lowering.

mikerob

Established Member
I had traction issues with my P springs. It felt like it was sliding on ice until I got LCAs and relocation brackets.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
mines slippin and sliddin on nitto 555 -285 30's on h&r ss springs

def need to get adj upper and lower arms.

Users who are viewing this thread