Traction control switch idea

hydroinnovation

Established Member
I've recently purchased a 04 cobra vert with 19k miles, love it. One of the few things that I don't like is that if I turn off the traction control it resets/defualts to the traction control being on when the car is restarted. I noticed that the fog lamps are not like this, if they are on when you turn the car off the are on when you turn the car back on. Can I replace my traction control switch with a fog lamp switch and fix it this irritation?

Drew03

Established Member
Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can permanently turn off the traction control with a handheld

hydroinnovation

Established Member
If you turn it off in a tune are you able to turn it back on with the switch? In other words does the traction control switch start working like the fog lamp switch after a tune? You are probably think "why would you ever want traction control on?" but it saved my *** a couple of times. I bought it in Ohio and drove all the way to Tx and ended up driving through ice and snow almost the entire time. I was glad that I had it, was kicking on at 50-60 mph sometimes when I hit patches of ice.

Anyways would the switch work? I knew that I could turn it off compeltely with a tune. I need to buy lots of parts to need a tune, if I can just buy a switch that is much cheaper to accomplish my goal.

cobracide

Established Member
If you turn it off in a tune are you able to turn it back on with the switch?

No, it is PERMANENTLY off.

You are probably think "why would you ever want traction control on?" but it saved my *** a couple of times. I bought it in Ohio and drove all the way to Tx and ended up driving through ice and snow almost the entire time. I was glad that I had it, was kicking on at 50-60 mph sometimes when I hit patches of ice.

I hear what you are saying but once you start changing pulleys the traction control cannot compensate properly as designed so there is no point to using it after that. Are you planning mods?

I need to buy lots of parts to need a tune, if I can just buy a switch that is much cheaper to accomplish my goal.

Someone had a post years back that you could buy a switch that would remember the last setting I think.

FOUND IT - http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-archive-208/20710-tired-pushing-tc-button.html

Last edited:

hydroinnovation

Established Member
Thanks for the link but this is way over my head

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-archive-208/20710-tired-pushing-tc-button.html

I think that I might try the fog lamp switch to see what happens. I could be wrong but when I push the fog lamp it clicks like its locking on or off, but the TC button doesn't do this. I'll remove the panel and check it out, if it works I'll post it. That seems waaay simpler than what the guy mentioned in the link above.

hydroinnovation

Established Member

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. After reading the details of how it works I don't think that the fog light switch would work after all. It mentions an 8 second TC self test that it must wait to be preformed before it can turn off the TC. I think that you would probably get an engine light if the self test wasn't being able to be performed properly. Thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
:idea:

I have a better idea.

After the tuner turns off the Terminator traction control have him explode 2 sticks of dynamite under it so it can never be "turned on" again! :) Calling cutting off the fuel on an FI engine "traction control" is an oxymoron and had nothing to do with maintaining traction. It’s more of a "don't do that!" nanny :nono:

hildy6

Cobra Dave
Traction Control Schematic

The link supplied above has a reference to the Schematic that JumpinJackFlash provided. I have searched all the links I can find on the forum and can't get a good one with the schematic. Does anyone have that? Can you repost it please.

The parts lists are out there. It won't do me any good with out the schematic.

89slowgt331

Established Member

I have a better idea.

After the tuner turns off the Terminator traction control have him explode 2 sticks of dynamite under it so it can never be "turned on" again! :) Calling cutting off the fuel on an FI engine "traction control" is an oxymoron and had nothing to do with maintaining traction. It’s more of a "don't do that!" nanny :nono:

x100, turn it off or pulling fuel at wot on a boosted engine= one of jimmy's melted piston pic's.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member

I have a better idea.

Exactly! What a horrible design. I remember the very first day I bought the Cobra and the traction control kicked on. I thought "WTF was that???" It feels like hitting a brick wall.

Users who are viewing this thread