Trackey VS Lund tune advice

TheRealSuperman

Boss 302 connoisseur
Established Member
Hi guys,

So I want to start modding my Boss I just bought a couple of months back, I ordered an Airaid, BBK cat deletes, and a custom Lund tune.

I did all that before remembering I have a Trackey installed on my Boss. Any of you guys know how/if this will affect the car when I use the Trackey? Or is there a different tune for it?

Thanks and I appreciate the advice/help ahead of time.

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
When it comes to our products, the track key has definitely been an issue. What happens is this. From factory your vehicle is using a factory calibration/software. As soon as you use the track key, the computers calibration/software gets changed to the track key settings. We dont have the ability to tune the track key's calibration, as its not a factory Ford software. It typically requires you to go to the dealer and ask them to flash the vehicle back to a factory ford calibration. In my experience, the tunes that you get for these vehicles are comparable to the track key's tunes, but obviously you can build upon it as you modify the vehicle further.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
It was my understanding that the silver key program gets the tune, and the red key would stay track key tune... Is that right?

IamRacerX

Established Member
I was also told headers and an X pipe with sims would work with the track key.... Does anyone run that?
I have a buddy that's running X straight pipes and a large TB and cai with the track key tune and no cells....

tek302

Established Member
Wrong.

Silver key side of ecu gets the custom tune, track key still remains on red key side. Also the SCT will store both the silver and red tunes.

That's what I was meaning. I was saying as long as the aftermarket tune is loaded, your trackey will be disabled.

TheRealSuperman

Boss 302 connoisseur
Established Member
Wrong.

Silver key side of ecu gets the custom tune, track key still remains on red key side. Also the SCT will store both the silver and red tunes.

I just got verificaion from the guys at Lund,

"Yes, if you return the vehicle to stock tune, the track key will function as it did before. Keep in mind, the Lund Racing tune will give you much better power than the track key tune."

SWEET. Thanks to everyone for the help!!!

IamRacerX

Established Member
Find out too if both keys will work the Lund tune? I remember reading someone posted the red key won't work with it... But that was a while ago.

lpheaven

Established Member
Find out too if both keys will work the Lund tune? I remember reading someone posted the red key won't work with it... But that was a while ago.

If you have the Ford BOSS 302 TracKey tune already installed then:

1. If you get a custom tune from any 3rd party vendor other than Ford, it will be tuned using the silver key.

2. You can use either key after your BOSS has been custom tuned by a 3rd party vendor and the tune will still be the 3rd party vendor's tune only.

3. The Ford BOSS 302 TracKey tune is stored on the handheld tuning device used to custom tune your BOSS 302.

4. The return to stock option is the ONLY way to put the BOSS 302 TracKey tune back into the ECU returning the silver and red keys original functionality.

5. You can install a full aftermarket exhaust including eliminating the catalytic converters using the BOSS 302 TracKey tune but will eventually receive a check engine light due to the codes for catalytic converter sensor not ready activating. Even high flow catalytic converters have been known to produce this code but there are ways to adjust the O2 sensors to prevent this from happening.

6. Your BOSS 302 will run rich using an aftermarket exhaust and the Ford BOSS 302 TracKey tune.

7. You can always call the following number to ask the same questions at the source and verify with a Ford Racing engineer.
Ford Racing Performance
Dearborn, MI
Techline : (800) FORD788
International Calls: 1-313-621-0771

In my personal experience in owning a 2012 BOSS 302 i have
1. Had the car 100% stock.

2. Had the Ford BOSS 302 TracKey tune installed with zero after market parts.

3. Had the Ford BOSS 302 TracKey tune installed with several after market exhaust parts including headers and catalytic converter deletes.

4. Had a 3rd party custom tune ( 2 different companies )

Enjoy your day and don't forget to turn your clocks ahead 1 hour this weekend due to DST.

:coolman:

boomstick33

Established Member
Interesting on how that works. I'm planning on getting a tune for my Boss LS & was wondering about which key & what happened to them. Good info.

Users who are viewing this thread